Former Donegal manager Jim McGuinness.GAA bosses in Donegal have rejected criticism of how it handled its team holiday.Former manager Jim McGuinness used his Irish Times column today to criticise the County Board, saying those who were unable to go on the holiday should have been given a voucher as recompense.But in a statement this afternoon, the county board didn’t name McGuinness but said: “CLG Dhún na nGall wishes to clarify its position regarding the 2014 players and management teams holiday. “CLG Dhún na nGall correctly followed all guidelines as issued by Croke Park to Donegal County Committee regarding holidays and are satisfied that the holiday was organised fully in accordance with those guidelines as has been confirmed by Croke Park.”The statement follows the Glenties’ man’s claims that he believed Croke Park had backed his position.Several players and backroom team members were unable to travel to Dubai last year due to work commitments. McGUINNESS IS WRONG, SAYS DONEGAL COUNTY BOARD was last modified: September 29th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
30 June 2008South Africa’s workforce need not cash in their provident fund savings out of fear that the government will nationalise the funds, says Finance Minister Trevor Manuel.Manuel’s statement comes after certain service providers warned their clients to cash in their savings, claiming that the government was threatening to seize them.“Since the announcement of the reform of retirement funds in the national budget in February, service providers have told people that government is going to nationalise pensions and is going to take away your savings, so you will only get the statutory state old age pension when you retire,” Manuel told reporters in Pretoria last week.“It would be reckless, impossible and unconstitutional that any one of us would agree with the confiscation of the savings of working people.”Manuel said he had heard that workers were withdrawing their savings, and that some were going so far as to resign from their jobs in order to cash in their pensions.He was accompanied by Social Development Minister Zola Skweyiya and several trade union leaders.Savings levels ‘too low’Skweyiya said he was concerned that these withdrawals would impact on the workers themselves and their families as they approach retirement, and that it would impact on the country, as savings levels are already too low.“The government and trade unions share a commitment to improve the living standards of our people and we want to collaborate in working towards this objective,” he said.“Part of this commitment is to ensure that all workers are able to live a better life when they retire than live in dire poverty in old age.”Report ‘unscrupulous individuals’Skweyiya called on all shop stewards and trustees of pension and provident funds to report these “unscrupulous individuals and service providers” to trade union offices, government and regulatory agencies.He said that some government departments and the trade unions would embark on road shows to visit factory floors around the country, and ensure that shop stewards and workers were prevented by being misled.Source: BuaNews
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Hot, dry weather prevailed last week creating good harvesting conditions, according to Cheryl Turner, State Statistician, USDA NASS, Ohio Field Office. There were 6.2 days suitable for fieldwork during the week ending August 4. Topsoil moisture was getting very short and crops were showing signs of stress due to the lack of moisture. Corn and soybeans needed rain to improve condition and growth rate. Winter wheat harvest was nearly complete. Many producers were planting late cover crops. Oat harvest moved steadily and was only slightly behind the five-year average. Hay making continued last week with some producers able to get a third cutting where regrowth was more evident. Mowing, manure applications, and spraying activities continued last week. Weed control was more necessary in some fields.Click here to read the full report.
The Central Bureau of Investigation has re-registered 10 cases in the Srijan scam, in which hundreds of crores were siphoned off allegedly by a Bhagalpur-based non-governmental organisation in connivance with bank and government officials.The cases were earlier probed by the Economic Offences Wing of the Bihar police, which has so far arrested 18 persons and frozen 15 accounts to which the funds were allegedly diverted.Among those named in the FIRs is Manorama Devi, then director of Srijan Mahila Vikash Samiti, who died earlier this year, besides other office-bearers of the NGO and bank officials. The cases were transferred to the CBI on a reference from the Bihar government through the Centre.The police had got a Look-Out Circular issued against the NGO’s secretary, Priya Kumar, the daughter-in-law of the then director and her husband.The Rashtriya Janata Dal, earlier this week, demanded a Supreme Court-monitored CBI probe, soon after Mahesh Mandal, an accused, died in a hospital at Bhagalpur.On Friday, the issue rocked the Assembly. Members of the Opposition parties sought the resignation of Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi. RJD, Congress and CPI-ML members staged a walkout.Office space for NGOThe BJP targeted the RJD, alleging that the NGO was given office space in a government building at Bhagalpur on a 30-year lease when Rabri Devi was Chief Minister. While the lease deed was signed on February 25, 2004, it was extended for 50 years the same year, it said.The BJP has also alleged that a key player in the scam, who was absconding with her husband, was the daughter of a Congress leader.