Joe Russo Announces New Project, ‘Boyfriend’

first_imgJoe Russo will debut a new project called Boyfriend at Nublu in New York City on Saturday, June 30th. The new group will find Russo teaming up with multi-instrumentalist Josh Kaufman, drummer/percussionist Ben Perowsky, and multi-instrumentalist Stuart Bogie. The Joe Russo’s Almost Dead drummer and bandleader announced the news today via his Instagram. Boyfriend’s debut show will get started at 8 pm and will feature two sets.Previously, Josh Kaufman toured with Bob Weir during last year’s Campfire Tour, and he’s toured with singer-songwriter Josh Ritter for a number of years. Ben Perowsky has worked with a diverse array of artists, including Rickie Lee Jones, Trey Anastasio, Walter Becker, and The Wood Brothers. Stuart Bogie, on the other hand, is a member of Antibalas who has work with artists like Arcade Fire, Wu-Tang Clan, The Roots, Massive Attack, and Medeski, Martin & Wood, and has regularly collaborated with Joe Russo’s Almost Dead in the past.In related news, Russo’s JRAD bandmate Tom Hamilton just announced a pair of August shows with the Jerry Garcia Birthday Band.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Students should know their rights, attempt to cooperate to avoid trouble with drinking

first_imgAs the school year begins and students attend off-campus parties, local lawyers’ advice is to understand not only the law, but also the value of cooperative behavior in encounters with police officers. Notre Dame Law School graduate Rudy Monterrosa said it is crucial for students to know the law. He practices law in South Bend and has experience defending students charged with alcohol-related offenses. “I do believe that it’s an issue that students do need to be aware of what their rights are and what they can and cannot do,” he said. Underage consumption of alcohol by a person under the age of 21 in Indiana is a Class C misdemeanor and an arrestable offense, said attorney Michael Tuszynski, of Stanley, Tuzynski & Associates in South Bend. Underage students who are stopped by police officers are often issued citations, Tuszynski said, which are also known as proxy arrests. In these cases, the offender is released based on a promise to appear in court when summoned. The decision whether to arrest or issue a citation is at the discretion of an individual police officer in each situation, although cooperation with the police can work to a student’s advantage, Tuszynski said. “A little bit of civility can go a long way,” he said.   In the state of Indiana, both the Indiana State Excise Police and city police can respond to situations involving alcohol. According to the state of Indiana’s website, the Excise Police are the law enforcement division of the state’s Alcohol and Tobacco Commission. “South Bend Police, they’re in charge of enforcing the laws here in the city of South Bend,” Monterrosa said. “Excise police specifically target certain types of violations.” City police typically would respond to a dispatch call such as a noise complaint about a party, Monterrosa said. They can issue citations, make arrests and also call in a unit of Excise Police. When either South Bend or Excise Police arrive at the site of a party, Tuszynski said a warrant is typically required to enter a home. “The home is sacred under the Fourth Amendment as well as Article 1, Section 11 of the Indiana Constitution,” he said. If a police officer knocks at a door, asks to enter and is granted permission, Tuszynski said the requirement for a warrant is waived. There are also exigent circumstances, which he said allow officers to enter a property without this permission. One such example would be a situation in which a person fled police by entering a home. “It’s extremely fact specific,” Tuszynski said. Monterrosa said if police knock on a door and see what appears to be criminal activity, such as very young people drinking alcohol, they have the right to investigate the situation. Once inside a residence, police officers may ask students for their identification and request they take a breathalyzer test, Monterrosa said. Students may refuse this test, but it is more likely they will be arrested if they do so. Without a breathalyzer result, there is no evidence the student was drinking. This lack of evidence makes it extremely difficult to charge the student with a misdemeanor, but they will likely be booked into jail. “And that’s the catch-22 that you’re in,” Monterrosa said. “Between a rock and a hard place.” If students take the breathalyzer test, Monterrosa said it is still a police officer’s discretion whether to arrest or issue a citation. “I would tell you that typically I don’t see too many people getting arrested for minor consuming,” he said. Tuszynski said students who are arrested must both post a bond and test below a certain blood alcohol level before they are released. Students who are on public property, such as a sidewalk, Monterrosa said, may be approached by police officers. In these cases, reasonable suspicion of underage consumption of alcohol is required for a breathalyzer test. “They call it a walk and talk,” he said. “In talking to them if they get any other information of a crime being committed then they can follow through with that. So an officer can go up to you and talk to you, but I’d say that they need to have at least reasonable suspicion that some criminal activity is going on.” Once students have either been released from jail or issued citations, they will receive a court summons in the mail, which makes it crucial that students provide police officers with correct and current addresses, Monterrosa said. Tuszynski said prosecutors will file formal charges, and cases are then resolved in one of three different ways: trial, plea or dismissal. There is also the opportunity for a pre-trial diversion program, which would involve a fine, community service hours and potentially other conditions. There is no criminal conviction associated with this program. Monterrosa said the pre-trial diversion program is a preferable option for students because the case never goes to court. They can qualify for it if they have no past convictions. “By no means should they ever proceed with a criminal case,” he said. “Especially if you’re at Notre Dame or you’re at Saint Mary’s, you’ve already worked that hard to get to that point. “But I think that it’s very best to have misdemeanor conviction avoided at all costs.” If the pre-trial diversion program is completed, Tuszynski said it is important to understand the charges are never erased from a person’s record. When graduate schools or employers ask students if they have been charged with a crime, students must answer yes. These charges would also surface if a background check is run on a student who had completed a pre-trial diversion program. Monterrosa said any traces of a charge may be erased through expungement, which can be done with the help of a lawyer, but is not necessary. Graduate schools and employers would only be truly concerned with whether an applicant had been convicted of a crime, he said. Regarding students over the age of 21 who host parties where alcohol may be served to minors, Tuszynski said the same legal process would apply. Posting a sign at a party forbidding drinking under the age of 21 might factor into the situation, but it would not protect the student hosts. “I certainly wouldn’t rely on that,” he said. “When you have a party and you serve alcohol, you really kind of put yourself in peril.” While Monterrosa said it is easier said than done, the only way to avoid encounters with the police is to avoid minor consumption, public intoxication or hosting parties at which underage students are present. Once a student is in a situation with the police, he said it is most important to be cooperative because the final outcome is left to police discretion. “Certain things are going to happen depending on whether you cooperate or not with law enforcement,” he said. According to Monterrosa, students also need to understand that they are a part of the city of South Bend. “I have to say if somebody’s having a party just keep it low key and keep it inside the house, but I guess it’s easier said than done,” he said. “I think people just need to be aware of what the laws are.”last_img read more

Continue Reading

Classic Charger Golf Outing

first_imgThe North Decatur Athletic Department will be hosting our annual Charger Classic Golf Tournament on Saturday, October 10th.  The event will take place at North Branch Golf Course with a 1 p.m. shotgun start. Failed to fetch Error: URL to the PDF file must be on exactly the same domain as the current web page. Click here for more infoThe event, which helps to support the North Decatur Athletic Department and the Troy Hartley Fund, is currently seeking both sponsors and teams.  Sponsorship opportunities include both Tournament Sponsors and Hole Sponsors.  In addition, this year’s prize donations for a silent auction are also being accepted.  Teams of four are needed for the Florida Scramble style tourney.  Interested businesses or individuals can find both sponsorship and team registration information and forms on the North Decatur athletic website – www.ndathletics.com.   Courtesy of Chargers AD Scott Johnson.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Two Tipp players to start for Munster against rivals Ulster

first_imgMunster Head Coach Anthony Foley has made three changes to his starting fifteen for Saturday’s PRO12 battle against Ulster in Kingspan Stadium.As expected one of those changes sees Paul O’Connell return for the penultimate round as he partners Donnacha Ryan in the second row, with the Tipperary lock making his second start of the season. It is also the first time the players have started in the second row together since Perpignan away in December 2013. The second change to the forwards sees hooker Eusebio Guinazu trading places with Duncan Casey this week.Dave Kilcoyne and Stephen Archer make up the rest of the front row. While the unchanged back row of Captain Peter O’Mahony, Tommy O’Donnell and CJ Stander complete the pack.Denis Hurley is the only change to the backline as he joins Andrew Smith in midfield with Simon Zebo, Keith Earls and Felix Jones continuing as the back three. Finally with the half-back pairing of Conor Murray and Ian Keatley remaining the same, Keatley will make his 99th appearance for the province on Saturday.Kick-off tomorrow is at 2.40pm. Munster: Felix Jones; Keith Earls, Andrew Smith, Denis Hurley, Simon Zebo; Ian Keatley, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Eusebio Guinazu, Stephen Archer; Donnacha Ryan, Paul O’Connell; Peter O’Mahony Capt.,Tommy O’Donnell, CJ Stander.Replacements: Duncan Casey, John Ryan, BJ Botha, Billy Holland, Jack O’Donoghue, Duncan Williams, JJ Hanrahan, Ronan O’Mahony.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Sars & Eire Og into hurling SF’s after thrillers at Semple

first_imgPhoto Tipp FM Eire Og Annacarty and Thurles Sarsfield march on to the County Senior Hurling Semi Finals next weekend after respective victories over Mullinahone and Kilruane McDonagh’s yesterday.In the first of the day’s matches Eire Óg overcame Mullinahone on the narrowest of margins 2-13 to 1-15. This is despite being down to 13 men after Connor O’Brien and Patrick Aherne were sent off in the 1st half.Aherne received two yellow cards while O’Brien received a straight red. Eire Óg Annacarty manager Ronan O’Brien spoke to Tipp FM’s Stephen Gleeson after the matchMeanwhile Kilruane McDonagh’s forced their quarter final clash with County Champions Thurles Sars to extra time after securing an equalising point deep into injury time of the second half of normal play but lost out in the end.It was an exciting match with Kilruane staying very much in the game and only trailing by 3 points at the break 1-11 to 1-8 with the goals coming from Sars Denis Maher and McDonagh’s Conor Cleary.Ten minutes into the second half of normal play the sides were level 1-13 apiece. Thurles Sars then started to pull away again to build up a four point lead once again, but Liam O’Shea’s side fought back and at the full time whistle of normal time it was all square on a scoreline of 1-20 each.However two goals in quick succession from Lar Corbett and Par Bourke in the 1st half of Extra Time all but secured victory for Thurles Sars and despite a brave effort by Kilruane McDonagh a seasoned Thurles Sarsfield won out on a scoreline of 3-26 to 1-22Afterwards Stephen Gleeson spoke to a relieved Thurles Manager Paddy McCormackElsewhere,In the County Senior Hurling Relegation match Burgess overcame Ballina 2-19 to 2-10 while in the Intermediate relegation game between Galtee and Lattin Cullen, Galtee emerged victorious on a scoreline of 1-12 to 12 pointslast_img read more

Continue Reading