Here are 3 ways you can vote in New York this election

first_imgNew Yorkers can vote this November in one of three ways: by absentee ballot, early voting or on Election Day. BroomeChenangoDelawareTioga For information on how to request an absentee ballot in the Southern Tier, click here. There are many changes to the absentee ballot process this year, including using COVID-19 concerns as a reason to request an absentee ballot. New York has had relatively strict guidelines for absentee voting in years past, but fear of illness is now an accepted reason for requesting an absentee ballot. (WBNG) — You have increased options in New York this year for how to vote in the presidential elections. New Yorkers can also participate in early voting at the polls, a law that went into effect in 2019. New York’s early voting period for this upcoming election is Oct. 24 to Nov. 1. The state website says times and poll sites will vary by place to place.center_img New York has passed several election reforms this year such as lengthening the time period you can mail your absentee ballot, creating a way to drop your absentee ballot off in person without waiting in line, and new sanitization requirements. Voters are still able to vote in-person in New York on Election Day this year, from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. The State Board of Elections warns residents your polling site could be different since the last time you voted, so check with your county. The Chenango County Board of Elections told 12 News each registered voter was mailed an absentee ballot application back in June. For this November’s election however, voters will have to request an application. For information on where your polling sites will be for in-person voting either early or on Election Day in the Southern Tier, click on your county below:last_img read more

Continue Reading

Greensburg to receive $250,000 from OCRA

first_imgGreensburg, IN—Lt. Governor Suzanne Crouch and the Indiana Office of Community and Rural Affairs announced that 13 rural Hoosier communities will receive more than $1.96 million in federal grant funding, through the new COVID-19 Response Program. “After setting up weekly calls with our local elected officials and Main Street organizations, I was able to hear how quickly we needed to provide funding to assist with rising medical needs and to save jobs and small businesses,” said Crouch. “Our rural communities are truly the next economic frontier and we have to do all we can to ensure they survive this crisis.”In March, Governor Eric Holcomb issued the executive order that allowed OCRA to redirect Community Development Block Grant funds to assist with COVID-19 needs, based on guidance from the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).On April 1, the COVID-19 Response Program launched and, over the course of two weeks, received 108 Letters of Need, totaling an estimated $23 million in requests. Eligible activities for this program include but are not limited to:Expanding or altering existing medical facilities to help in the increasing patient load due to COVID-19;Provide fixed or mobile testing;Expand food pantry services to low-to-moderate (LMI) populations; andProvide grants or loans to small businesses to help retain LMI jobs.The City of Greensburg was awarded $250,000 to provide loans to local small business owners who are low-to-moderate-income or to retain low-to-moderate-income jobs. The funds will be processed through the Greensburg Decatur County Economic Development Corporation revolving loan program.last_img read more

Continue Reading

The Latest: Three South Carolina coaches taking salary cuts

first_imgRussian soccer club Dynamo Moscow says a player and a coach have tested positive for the coronavirus and samples from four others gave atypical results.Dynamo says defender Roman Evgeniev was found to be positive in recent testing ahead of the league’s planned return next month. The club also says a goalkeeping coach had been diagnosed earlier. The club says he hasn’t had contact with other employees since early April.Two other unnamed people from the club gave “borderline” results in tests and another two had antibodies which indicated they had COVID-19 in the past.The Russian league plans to return on June 21.Rubin Kazan said Monday that defender Konstantin Pliev had tested positive for the virus but was “feeling fine.” Lokomotiv Moscow said last week that Peru forward Jefferson Farfan gave a positive sample and had symptoms including a cough, fatigue and fever. ___French soccer’s awards ceremony has been canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic.The country’s players’ union says it will not be presenting trophies for the best players and coaches in the top two divisions of men’s soccer and the women’s first division.The union says the time is not right for “individual awards during this crisis period” and that the winners’s list will be left blank for 2020 in tribute to the medical staff “at the service of our society.”The awards were initially scheduled to be held last weekend. ___The Premier League says six people from three clubs have tested positive for the coronavirus following the first round of checks.Tests were conducted on 748 players and club staff on Sunday and Monday.The league has not disclosed the names of the individuals who tested positive. They must self-isolate for seven days.___ Serie A was suspended a day later when the Italian government ordered a nationwide lockdown. The league is hoping to resume playing on June 13.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___South Carolina’s highest paid head coaches are taking 10% salary cuts amid the coronavirus pandemic. Spanish soccer club Málaga says it plans to fire some employees to improve its financial situation amid the coronavirus pandemic.The second-division club’s finances have been overseen by a public administrator since a judge replaced Qatari club owner Sheikh Abdullah Al Thani in February.Málaga says the measure is one of many being taken to “ease the difficult economic situation it is experiencing.” It says the “restructuring” is needed to ensure its sustainability.The club did not say which employees will be fired. The team is in 15th place in the second-division standings.___ Football coach Will Muschamp, men’s basketball coach Frank Martin and women’s basketball coach Dawn Staley are taking the cuts. The university also said Tuesday that school president Robert Caslen and athletic director Ray Tanner are among the top-level administrators taking the 10% cut. The school said in a statement it could lose up to $40 million because of the virus this fiscal year ending June 30. Additional and potentially bigger shortfalls could be seen going forward. These cost-cutting measures are expected to save $1.2 million on South Carolina’s bottom line.___Boston Mayor Marty Walsh says the city is talking with the organizers of the Boston Marathon about what to do if the coronavirus pandemic hasn’t let up by the race’s proposed new date of Sept. 14. The German basketball league plans to finish its season next month in a closed three-week tournament.Ten teams will live in Munich and play at the Audi Dome without fans or contact with the outside world. The league’s seven other teams will not take part and their season will be declared finished.Each team will be allowed to bring 22 people to live in hotels closed to the public. Games will be played at the venue which hosted the basketball tournament at the 1972 Olympics.The plan was approved by the government of the state of Bavaria.League president Alexander Reil says the tournament offers “a certain return to normality” with strong health safeguards amid the coronavirus pandemic. The league has not played since March 8. Associated Press Daly provided the response shortly after Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced the border restrictions will stay in effect through June 21. This marks the second time the border restrictions have been extended since first being put into place on March 18 as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.The extension of the restrictions comes at a time when the NHL and NHL Players’ Association are discussing plans on when the league can resume playing after the regular season was paused on March 12.The NHL has seven teams based in Canada. In a separate development, the NHLPA’s executive board has voted to defer the final payment of players’ regular season salaries through the end of May.— AP Hockey Writer John Wawrow The mayor said on Tuesday that the decision to reschedule the marathon from April to September was made with the hope that the disease “would no longer be a significant public health risk.” While Massachusetts is planning to lift its ban on some businesses and activities next week, large public gatherings have been banned through Labor Day — a week before the race’s new date.Walsh had told the Boston Globe last week that he was open to the return of professional sports this summer — with no fans in the stands. The marathon field was scheduled to include more than 30,000, and even a stripped-down race of just a few hundred elite runners would mean hundreds or thousands of volunteers and officials and thousands more fans lining the 26.2-mile course.A Boston Athletic Association spokeswoman said the organization is considering all options but will be guided by public health officials recommendations. ___Eastern Michigan’s football and basketball coaches are set to take a 7% salary cut as the athletic department tries to deal with the budget impact of the coronavirus pandemic. The last candlepin bowling alley in the Massachusetts city where the sport was invented is closing, and management says the coronavirus pandemic is to blame. Colonial Bowling Center in Worcester is shuttering for good, manager Paul Wambach told The Telegram & Gazette on Monday evening. Wambach said the fall-to-spring season provides most of the alley’s revenue. But the business has been closed since March and summer leagues usually start in April, so the business’s 91-year-old owner decided the time was right to close for good.Candlepin bowling was invented in Worcester in 1880, according to the International Candlepin Bowling Association, and the city once had more than 25 alleys. ___ Sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora made the announcement on RAI state TV on Tuesday.Spadafora added that he has called a meeting with soccer officials for May 28 to decide when the Serie A season can resume. Serie A officials are hoping to restart the season on June 13 if they can get clearance from the government to play one day before the ban on sports events expires.Serie A players have been training on an individual basis since May 4. Team training likely won’t start for several days, though, because the protocol requires players to be tested for the virus three days beforehand, then every four days.___NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly tells The Associated Press he’s hopeful the decision to close the U.S. and Canadian border to non-essential travel for another month won’t “have a material impact” on the league’s discussions to restart its season. ___The Belmont Stakes will be run June 20 in front of no fans as the first leg of horse racing’s Triple Crown.The New York Racing Association unveiled the new Belmont date Tuesday morning. This is the first year the Belmont will take place before the Kentucky Derby and Preakness. The Derby was moved to Sept. 5 and the Preakness to Oct. 3.The rescheduled Belmont will be 1 1/8 miles instead of the race’s trademark 1 1/2-mile distance that has been in place since 1926. It was last contested at a 1 1/8 mile in 1894.___ The Latest: Three South Carolina coaches taking salary cuts United is asking fans for their “co-operation not to travel to any stadiums at which we are playing on matchdays.”___Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Inter Milan will play a series of friendlies next year to raise money for medical facilities in Italy and Spain.The three round-robin games have been dubbed the “European Solidarity Cup” and thousands of medical staff and carers will get tickets for their work fighting the coronavirus pandemic.Dates for the games will be set when the calendar for 2021 is clear and fans are allowed back into stadiums. Athletic director Scott Wetherbee announced the salary reductions, which will also apply to him and school President James Smith. Football coach Chris Creighton, men’s basketball coach Rob Murphy, and women’s basketball coach Fred Castro will be affected by the 7% cuts.EMU also says approximately 70 coaches and staff will participate in the Work Share program offered through the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency. They’ll have their work hours reduced by 40%.The school says the Work Share program allows EMU to reduce work hours while allowing employees to obtain unemployment benefits.___The Italian government has given the go-ahead for Serie A teams to resume full team training after approving a new health protocol. ___Cristiano Ronaldo has reported back to Juventus’ training center after a 10-week absence.The five-time Ballon d’Or winner showed up for medical tests with the Serie A leaders.Ronaldo observed a two-week isolation period at his home in Turin after spending the lockdown period in his native Portugal.Ronaldo has not been alongside his teammates since helping Juventus to a 2-0 win over Inter Milan on March 8. He flew to his home island of Madeira, Portugal, after that. ___Manchester United says it will refund fans with season tickets for the games they won’t be able to attend during the coronavirus pandemic.The Premier League season was suspended in March with United fifth in the standings. United has four home games left.The club wrote to season ticket holders to say “we share your disappointment that you will not be able to watch United in person from within the stadium, but we would encourage you to give your continued loyal support from the comfort and safety of your home.”Clubs are pushing to be allowed to play at their usual stadiums rather than in neutral venues as the police wanted. May 19, 2020 ___Central Michigan is discontinuing its men’s track and field program, citing university-wide budget cuts.The decision affects both indoor and outdoor track. Athletic director Michael Alford says the school is facing “a new financial reality” because of enrollment challenges and the coronavirus crisis.Scholarships for current men’s track athletes, including for new students this fall, will be honored for as long as they’re enrolled at CMU. Athletes can also transfer immediately if they choose.Elsewhere in the Mid-American Conference, Akron is cutting women’s tennis and men’s cross country and golf, and Bowling Green has dropped baseball.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Westin Hotels taps Rachael Finch as newest brand advocate

first_imgWestin Hotels & Resorts has announced Rachael Finch, certified health coach, television presenter and model, as the brand’s Well-Being Brand Advocate.In her new role, Rachael will curate and host a Westin Wellness Escape for guests at The Westin Melbourne in April 2016, marking the next phase of the Westin Well-being Movement; a brand-wide campaign designed to enhance the well-being of guests around the world.“I am thrilled to join the distinguished panel of Westin Well-Being Brand Advocates for Asia Pacific; and look forward to sharing my passion for fitness and nutrition with Westin guests,” Ms Finch said.“Wellness is far more than just looking good physically, it’s about feeling good. To achieve this, like Westin, I believe you have to make health and well-being an integral part of everyday life, even when you’re on the road.”A certified health coach, Rachael is a highly regarded Australian personality, sharing many synergies with the Westin brand.Her modelling career has seen her travel the world, and her talent as a television host has led to appearances on popular shows – including an experience where it sparked her passion for dance as a means for keeping fit and healthy.Known for promoting a wholesome and holistic lifestyle, Rachael’s success is derived from her belief that good nutrition and an active and varied work out regime are the key foundations to fostering long-term health and well-being.For more information on how Rachael maintains her health and well-being, watch this short video.As a Westin Well-Being Brand Advocate, Rachael joins Westin Well-being experts across the globe, including other brand advocates in Asia Pacific such as Waka Nozawa, renowned fashion model and yogi from Japan; alongside soon to-be-introduced Television Personality and Wellness Expert Jojo Struys.“The Westin Wellness Escapes series is designed for those seeking to achieve or sustain a healthy lifestyle while still exploring the world, something Rachael is very experienced in,” said Vincent Ong, Senior Director, Brand Management, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Asia Pacific.“Rachael’s partnership with the Westin brand and her expertise in health and nutrition will further underscore the brand’s well-being positioning,”Westin embarked on the next phase of its Westin Well-being Movement with the introduction of Westin Wellness Escapes in early 2015, an ongoing well-being series led by experts in the fields of mindfulness meditation, nutrition, yoga, running and more.With Rachael on board, Australia will play host to a Westin Wellness Escape on 16-17 April 2016 at The Westin Melbourne; helping attendees pursue their well-being through interactive workshops and ballroom dance classes. Westin Wellness EscapeSource = Westin Hotels & Resortslast_img read more

Continue Reading