Cowley’s long summer of blood

first_imgIn a separate incident, a nineteen year old man was arrested in the early hours of last Sunday morning outside Clem’s nightclub on the Cowley Road roundabout for beating an Oxford University student with his belt, causing severe head injuries.Witnesses at the scene reported that the fight broke out after the student threw a bottle that hit the windscreen of a passing car. The furious driver jumped out the car, took off his belt, and used it to whip the student and his friend. Bouncers at the nightclub called the police to the scene who intervened and arrested the driver.Thames Valley Police told Cherwell, “The incident took place at 1:26 AM on Sunday morning outside Clementine’s nightclub. A male was hit in the back of the head with a belt several times, causing it to bleed. We were called to the incident and the grieved party pointed out the offender who we promptly arrested for assault.” The driver is now on police bail until 14 June.Bouncers had ejected the student from Clems after he had been caught urinating on the downstairs bar.Mr Garcia said, “the student wasn’t happy with being kicked out, he was very drunk. He stood across the road from the bouncers and attempted to throw a bottle at them but instead it hit a passing car. The bottle hit the windscreen and the man pulled over. Of course, he wasn’t happy, next thing we knew a fight broke out”.Bouncers at the nightclub decided not to get involved until the police arrived. One witness stated that she had implored the bouncers to intervene but they refused. This has caused concerns among partying students about street safety late at night.A Thames Valley Police spokesperson said, “Bouncers don’t have power of arrest. They have to be very careful about intervening.”The assaults this week are the latest in a series of violent crimes in Oxford. The last fortnight alone has seen a body wash up in the Isis, a sexual assault and a fatal stabbing. In a further attack last week, a Christ Church student was left unconscious on St. Aldate’s whilst walking home from The Bridge nightclub.Christ Church Junior Censor Ian Watson claimed that “Oxford is still not Detroit”. Asked to comment on the latest Cowley Road attack, Dr Watson conceded that “It does seem to be getting more dangerous.”A spokesperson from the University maintained, “Violent attacks against Oxford University students remain a very rare occurrence” A further spate of violent incidents in Cowley this week highlight the escalating level of aggression in Oxford that are affecting both town and gown alike.On Saturday, a local man was knifed in the buttock as he tried to prevent thugs from getting into his restaurant. The chain of events that led to the stabbing begun at Temple Lounge on Cowley Road, where customers had been shocked to hear a diner abusively demand that the manager take his order. Staff escorted the man and his associates from the premises around 10.30pm.Shortly afterwards the men attempted to re-enter the restaurant but were blocked by the manager and assistant manager. In the fracas that followed, the manager was allegedly slapped by the ringleader and the front door was smashed in. One of the men produced a lock knife and stabbed the assistant manager in the buttock.The attackers then fled the scene. They are believed to be aged in their mid-thirties.The knife victim, 40, wanted to remain anonymous for fear of reprisals but spoke exclusively to Cherwell. “My bum feels very sore…I’ve got four stitches.”The victim continued, “I haven’t seen [the wound] yet but it’s about two inches deep. I’m lucky to be alive because if it was two inches up or two inches down I would have bled to death before I got to hospital.”The manager is thought to have had previous trouble with the attackers. Police have not arrested anyone in connection with the assault.An anonymous man familiar with the restaurant said “[The attackers] were plastic gangsters down from London. You get a lot of that around the Cowley Road now.”Exeter College student Alex Ding lives around the corner from the crime scene. “I don’t feel safe at all” he said. “I’m going to be much more careful walking around Cowley Road now. It’s really not very safe.”last_img read more

Continue Reading

VCB, Stewart among SEC honourees

first_imgVETERAN outstanding Jamaican female athletes Veronica Campbell-Brown and Kerron Stewart are among 14 athletes named to the 2017 Southeastern Conference (SEC) Women’s Legends Class. This announcement was made recently by the conference office. The SEC Women’s Legends class highlights accomplished former student athletes, coaches and administrators from the 14 members institutions. Campbell-Brown, formerly of Vere Technical, attended the University of Arkansas, while Stewart, formerly of St Jago, attended the University of Auburn. Campbell-Brown, who attended Arkansas in 2004 after transferring from Barton County Community Junior College, has had a distinguished career for the Razorbacks. During her first season there, she received three first team All-America honours at the indoor national meet. She is a two-time individual Olympic gold medallist for Jamaica and also won two individual World Championships gold medals. At last year’s Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, she captured her eighth Olympic medal as a member of Jamaica’s silver-winning 4×100 metres relay team. Stewart, a two-time Olympic individual medallist with silver in the 100 metres and bronze in the 200 metres at Beijing 2008 also won silver in the 100 metres in Berlin at the 2009 World Championships to go along with excellent results for the Auburn Tigers. She was named 2007 SEC Runner of the Year and USTFCCA National Runner of the Year after capturing the SEC and NCAA Championships in the 60 metres and the 200 metres. She was named All-American seven times and is one of the best athletes in the school’s history. They were both recognised along with several other athletes at the SEC basketball tournament held between March 1-5, 2016 in Greenville, South Carolina. Each legend will be honoured during half-time of their team’s first home game of the tournament.last_img read more

Continue Reading

MB Sandaka commences operation between Guyana and Suriname

first_imgThe MB Sandaka has commenced operations between Guyana and Suriname on Thursday according to Public Infrastructure Minister David Patterson.The MB SandakaThe Minister told Guyana Times that the first sail has commenced and will last for a period of 123 days.“We will access the response of the travelling public to find out if the one sailing per day is okay and if we need to make adjustments, so it came as a result of a one-day intense discussion with my Surinamese counterpart”.Patterson added that during the discussion with his Surinamese counterpart, it was revealed that both sides were facing similar issues and therefore, systems will be put in place for the continuation of the ferry service.The MV Canawaima will be back in service from October 16, 2019, so therefore, the MB Sandaka will be operating on Guyana’s expense. “I have an agreement with my Surinamese counterpart that if the MV Canawaima is not in full operation on the date set, then the expense will be shared equally for the operation of the MB Sandaka,” according to Minster Patterson.The ferry, which will be working on a rotational basis between Guyana and Suriname, will be inspected by a joint team of engineers, who will be carrying out a full inspection on October 2, 2019. The two countries have also agreed to address all issues facing the ferry service, not only mechanical but also hospitality.On May 27, the Management of the Guyana-Suriname Ferry Service, through the Department of Public Information (DPI), had announced the suspension of operations from that day until further notice. Terminal Manager Gale Culley-Greene had told DPI that the Canawaima Ferry had been experiencing mechanical difficulties for some time and a decision was taken to have the vessel assessed and repaired.Government had expressed concern at the inconvenience to travellers while saying that this country had been funding most of the maintenance over the years. It had also noted that the vessel’s engine “had been limping for some time and [the ferry] was being towed by a tug” during its trips between the two countries.The suspension of the ferry service caused soaring traffic across the “backtrack” route on the Corentyne River border utilising speedboats.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Serbia awarded 3-0 victory but deducted three points following Albania furore

first_img Serbia fans 1 Serbia have been awarded a 3-0 victory over Albania following their postponed Euro 2016 qualifier but they have also been deducted three points and ordered to play their next two games behind closed doors for their part in the furore.The Group I clash between the two eastern European nations ended in bizarre circumstances when an unmanned drone trailing a pro-Albania flag over the Partizan Stadium resulted in a melee between the two sets of players as well as some Serbian fans.The sport’s European governing body UEFA has taken a dim view of the incident and while Serbia have been awarded the win, its football association has announced it will not get the benefit of the three points and must play its home matches against Denmark and Armenia in an empty stadium.last_img

Continue Reading