The Latest: French tennis hopes to resume training on Monday

first_imgSpahn tells Germany’s Deutschlandfunk radio that “the basic concept makes sense and can also be an example for other pro sports.”Hertha suspended Kalou on Monday after he live-streamed a video of himself greeting teammates with physical contact and bursting in on a teammate’s coronavirus test.Germany’s top two soccer divisions are planning to return this month with a program of regular testing for players. The clubs have also asked players to train in small groups until now and to observe social distancing.There were 10 positive tests from coronavirus samples taken last week from the 36 clubs in the top two divisions.___ Associated Press FFT president Bernard Giudicelli says the protocol proposed was “favorably received by the sports ministry” and could lead to the resumption of training and other amateur activities.Professional players would train on outside courts only at the national training center in western Paris or other approved training centers if approved. The national training center was made available for COVID-19 patients at the height of the virus outbreak.Social distancing will remain in place with all staff on site obliged to wear protective masks. Players will not be required to wear them under the proposed guidelines.All players must arrive alone and in their tennis gear and with their own rackets. Players will have a maximum of six balls and must serve only with their marked balls. All participants must keep their towels inside a bag throughout their stay.___ Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The French Tennis Federation hopes professional players can resume individual training if the lockdown ends as planned on Monday. Second-division German soccer club Erzgebirge Aue has put its entire squad in home isolation after a member of staff tested positive for the coronavirus.It’s the first confirmed case in the German league’s second round of testing. It comes a day before a government meeting on loosening lockdown measures to pave the way for soccer to return in empty stadiums.Aue didn’t name the staff member involved. All players, coaches and backroom staff will stay at home ahead of more coronavirus testing on Thursday.Ten people tested positive last week from the 36 clubs in the top two men’s divisions. That included two Cologne players and a staff member. The club did not put its squad in isolation.___ The Latest: French tennis hopes to resume training on Monday May 5, 2020 Belgian soccer players and their fans are engaging in a virtual wave to support health care workers and raise money for the Red Cross amid the coronavirus pandemic.The Belgian soccer association is encouraging fans to upload short videos of themselves doing the wave. Just like Belgium internationals Dries Mertens, Thomas Meunier and Jan Vertonghen.The association is giving fans the opportunity to upload videos until June 13. That is the date Belgium was set to play its first game at the European Championship. The tournament was postponed by a year because of the pandemic.___Health Minister Jens Spahn has defended German soccer’s plans to resume the season with regular coronavirus testing after Hertha Berlin forward Salomon Kalou posted a video flouting social distancing measures. More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6last_img read more

Continue Reading

Luke Voit injury update: Yankees slugger lands on IL with sports hernia

first_imgSlugging Yankees first baseman Luke Voit has been placed on the 10-day injured list after being removed from the the team’s 4-2 loss to the Diamondbacks Tuesday night.The team initially said Voit was dealing with a core muscle injury and scheduled for an MRI Tuesday night. In putting him on the IL Wednesday morning, the Yankees said he has a sports hernia.  Prior to today’s game, the Yankees:- Placed INF Luke Voit on the 10-day IL with a sports hernia- Placed RHP David Hale on the 10-day IL with a lumbar spine strain (retroactive to 7/28)- Recalled RHP Jonathan Holder (#56) and INF Breyvic Valera (#36) from @swbrailriders.— New York Yankees (@Yankees) July 31, 2019Manager Aaron Boone told reporters (via WFAN) Wednesday morning that the Yankees’ medical staff should know within the next 24 hours whether Voit will need surgery to correct the issue, potentially sidelining him for six weeks, or whether they can treat it day to day with a much quicker return. “Even in talking to Luke during the game when he was coming out, he was having a hard time putting his finger on it,” Boone told reporters after the game Tuesday (via the New York Post). “He just said, ‘I was having a hard time getting loose, before the game and all game.’ Like he didn’t feel like he did anything to it.” Related News Yankees ‘working all angles’ ahead of trade deadline, Brian Cashman says Afternoon baseball as we look to bite back.Powered by @Biofreeze pic.twitter.com/lhOLfkXvz0— New York Yankees (@Yankees) July 31, 2019After Voit’s exit, the Yankees inserted third baseman Tyler Wade in Voit’s spot in the order, with Gio Urshela moving from third base to first. Wade, just up from Triple-A, hit an eighth-inning homer, his first of the season and the second of his big league career.Voit’s injury comes as the clock ticks toward the trade deadline. General manager Brian Cashman has been seeking pitching before the 4 p.m. ET Wednesday deadline and recently said he didn’t envision trading for position player at this point of the schedule.The Yankees (67-39) are in first place in the AL East, 7 1/2 games up on the Rays going into Wednesday’s play, so there’s no need to make a panic move. MLB trade rumors: Yankees will not give up top prospect for anyone less than Noah Syndergaardcenter_img Per the Post’s report: Boone leaned back in his chair, gestured to his core to emphasize the point and said Voit indicated something in his core just felt off.Voit, 28, is slashing .278/.392/.493 with 19 homers and 54 RBIs in 94 games. According to Boone, Voit didn’t mention any tightness or discomfort before Tuesday’s game, but he could be seen wincing on television replays after his third-inning strikeout against Taylor Clarke. Voit was removed in the top of the fifth inning.Voit sustained a lower abdominal strain during the Yankees’ series against the Red Sox in London that cost him only seven games, thanks to the All-Star break.Given the Yankees’ depth, replacing Voit doesn’t appear to be too difficult, though he has been an important piece of the team’s offense, leading in on-base percentage and ranking in the top five in several other categories.”It’s tough when one of your best hitters goes down with who-knows-what,” Aaron Judge said. “We’ll see what the diagnosis is on him and how he’s feeling. Like I’ve said before, when guys go down, people step up.”When Voit missed the time before the All-Star break, the Yankees turned to Mike Ford, Edwin Encarnacion and DJ LeMahieu to play first base, and Encarnacion was set to start there Wednesday afternoon against Arizona. LeMahieu, dubbed by the Post as “the logical choice to play first should Voit miss extended time,” didn’t play Tuesday with a slight groin strain and was not in the lineup Wednesday. MLB trade rumors: Yankees, Phillies among teams interested in starter Tanner Roark Yankees trade rumors: Gleyber Torres ‘off limits’ in discussions for starterlast_img read more

Continue Reading

Gary Bettman on when NHL will return from coronavirus shutdown: ‘We are exploring every contingency’

first_img“We have an internal task force that has been meeting two times a day, in the morning and afternoon, and we are exploring every contingency,” Bettman said. “We’re looking out in the calendar to see, ‘Well what’s the last day we could be playing under other scenarios?’ And then backing it up, and what are options in the timeframe that’s available. And we’re doing all sorts of modeling, whether it’s completing the existing regular season as is and then a full playoffs, or whether or not, based on time constraints, we’re going to have to make adjustments and do something different, novel, creative. And we’re constantly reanalyzing and reworking that.”Coronavirus and the NHL: Tracking how the pandemic has impacted hockey’s landscapeBettman admitted that the fluid nature of the COVID-19 pandemic means that the NHL is planning for an endgame that has no set schedule or timeline. It means the league has to put together a plan with an undetermined number of contingencies, with Bettman comparing the situation to completing a complicated puzzle.”The interesting part of this puzzle is you don’t know exactly what it’s gonna look like when you’re done,” he said. “But our responsibility to our players, our teams, [and] most importantly, our fans, is to make sure we’re doing everything right and making sure that when we come back — and I believe we will at some point because I’m an optimist — it’ll be when it’s appropriate and when it’s safe so that everybody can be comfortable.”Even with meticulous planning and preparedness, Bettman stressed that when the league comes back — in whatever form it can — the ultimate decisions aren’t up to him and the NHL’s board of governors. The league will act when governing bodies across North America deem it safe to do so, and no earlier.”I think those who are in charge of our governments, either in Canada or the US, at the federal level, the state level and local level will tell us, right? We’re not equipped to say, ‘The pandemic’s over,'” Bettman said. “There are going to be medical people at the highest level who are going to tell us all [when life can get back to normal].” The NHL announced Thursday that it was suspending play indefinitely in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, but the league is already preparing for its eventual return, says commissioner Gary Bettman.Speaking on Friday to Sportsnet 590 in Toronto, Bettman outlined what the league is doing to get ready to put players back on the ice and fans back in the seats at an undetermined point in the future. At this point, the commissioner said, everything is on the table. For now, the NHL has paused the schedule and put practices and team meetings on hold. The league shutdown has extended to its office in Manhattan, which has mirrored many others across the continent in asking employees to work from home in order to limit contact and the spreading of the virus. Despite the scattered working environment, Bettman assured that the league will be ready to start back up as soon as it can.”I’m in New York, I’m in the office. We have everybody working from home, as do most large businesses now,” Bettman said. “And I think that’s what you’re seeing all over. Schools are closed for the next few weeks throughout North America. And so, as those decisions have been made, it’s based on the advice of those in charge, and we’ll be reliant on them telling us as well.”All we can do is make every conceivable plan so that we’re in a position to react appropriately.”last_img read more

Continue Reading

Publix to require customers to wear face coverings all stores starting Tuesday

first_imgPublix announced they will require customers to wear face coverings in their stores at all times starting July 21st.In a statement, Publix Director of Communications Maria Brous said:“With the number of coronavirus cases continuing to grow and current CDC guidance indicating face coverings can help slow the spread of COVID-19, we believe requiring face coverings in our stores is another way we can do our part to help protect our communities.”Publix will display signs announcing the requirement at store entrances and in-store announcements will be made.Publix said the requirement will not apply to young children and those with medical conditions who are not able to wear them.last_img

Continue Reading

Downtown Brown passes USO past Brashear

first_img In Spain the running of the bulls is popular but the Eagles found that flying over the Bulls to be most effective.Currently USO (University Prep, Sci-Tech, Obama Academy)  is considered the best in the City League and proved that against Brashear.  In a 51-6 win over the Bulls, Ronald Brown completed 28 aerials for 343 yards and 5 touchdowns last week at Cupples Stadium to improve to 4-0.  Although, Brashear fell to 1-3, the game was much closer than the score.In the first quarter 290-pound, two-way tackle Jordan Mabin was playing like a man possessed and Brashear held the Eagles scoreless in the first quarter.  However, Mabin suffered a high-ankle sprain on the final play of the quarter and the Eagles took advantage of his absence and two plays later Brown hit Nicholas Stallworth for a 65-yard touchdown and the rout was on.During his debut as USO’s quarterback, Brown completed passes for a western, Pennsylvania record 468 yards against Shenandoah Valley and he broke his own record by passing for 525 yards and seven scoring strikes in University Prep’s victory, 52-21, against Carrick.In four victories, everything is going as expected for Brown and the Eagles.  In filling the vacancy caused by Akil Young’s matriculation to college football, Brown has completed 89 of 133 passes for 1,680 yards and 23 touchdowns.  Currently, he ranks No. 1 in the City, WPIAL and State in passing.But, Brown has also honed his skills and mobility, in part to his early participation in the Homewood and Brushton Youth Football Association.“Ron has all the tools.  His strength is his arm,” said Homewood Mighty Mites coach Kedric Starkey.  “I knew he was a special back then.  In a game against Lincoln we were down by five late in the game and he asked the coaches to put the ball in his hands.  He took us 90 yards in seven straight passes to get us into the end zone.  That’s when I knew how good this kid was.”His ability enhances his wide receivers.  For example, against the Shenandoah Valley, Marcus Johnson caught five passes for 265 yards.  While team objectives come first, Brown, who is only 5-foot-9, 150-pound junior, and Johnson, a 6-foot-1, 170-pound senior, understands that winning is critical to their personal success, too.  Johnson is a potential Division I prospect.  Hampton University made an offer and Pitt, Temple, Bowling Green and Toledo has expressed some interest.  But what about “Downtown” Brown?“There’s so much talent in the City League, but they often get passed over by recruiters because of their off-the-field antics and behavior.We as a staff are committed to helping these young men carry themselves in a respectable manner while teaching a little football as well,” said former Pittsburgh Steelers and current USO’s Defensive Coach Mike Logan.  “Ronald Brown makes it easy to coach when his football IQ is on point. He understands what we are trying to do.  If he was over 6’0 he would be a top prospect!”Brown’s other touchdowns went to Clay Moorefield (7 yards), Stephon Hawthorne (44 yards) and Marcus Johnson (20 and 30 yards).  Stallworth also returned an interception 41 yards for a touchdown.Quarterback Angelo Reed ran 11 yards for Brashear’s only touchdown.USO will look for win No. 4 in the City League showdown when they battle Allderdice on Oct. 4 at Cupples Stadium Follow @NewPghCourier on Twitter  https://twitter.com/NewPghCourierLike us at https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Pittsburgh-Courier/143866755628836?ref=hlDownload our mobile app at http://www.appshopper.com/news/new-pittsburgh-courier RONALD BROWN passed for 343 yards and 5 touchdowns in leading USO over Brashear. (Photos by William McBride)last_img read more

Continue Reading