NEW YORK – U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer is stressing the need to reopen schools safely this fall.Last week, the senator announced his plan to put nearly $180 billion into schools to limit the spread of COVID-19 and level the playing field when it comes to distance learning.While speaking downstate on Sunday, Schumer stressed the need to listen to scientists and come up with a nationwide reopening plan.He says it is vital to keep agencies like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to fight COVID-19. “We are going to do everything we can to make sure that the CDC is fully funded in the stimulus package,” said Schumer. “The administration is talking about, the Republican McConnell is talking about cutting it. That would be cutting your nose to spite your face. we need the CDC to help us fight COVID.”The State Education Department recently released guidelines for school districts to reopen. Students must wear masks when they’re within six feet of each other.Their faces also have to be covered when they’re in the hallways, restrooms, and on the bus.The state also wants schools to limit the number of visitors on school grounds. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
by: Henry Meier“Buying a home is easier if you’re white” reported CNN yesterday based on the findings of a research report put together by Zillow with a forward by the National Urban League. The report, which was much more measured in its conclusions than some of the news headlines it generated, makes these headline grabbing assertions in its executive summary:–Fewer minorities apply for conventional mortgages. Although Hispanics and Blacks make up 17 percent and 12 percent of the U.S. population, respectively, they represented only 5 percent and 3 percent of the conventional Mortgage application pool.-Blacks experience the highest loan application denial rates. 1 in 4 blacks willbe denied their conventional loan application, as opposed to 1 in 10 whites.-Wide disparities in homeownership rates among ethnic groups persist.73.9 percent of whites own a home, whereas 60.9 percent of Asians, 50.9percent of Hispanics and 46.5 percent of blacks own. continue reading » 1SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
The U.S. Supreme Court will allow the federal government to enforce its new asylum rules. Under the new requirements, people seeking asylum need to do so in a third country.That would block immigrants from Central and South America from seeking asylum at the southern border of the U.S.The high court said the administration could enforce the new rule while it’s challenged in court.Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote a scathing dissent after the Supreme Court approved President Donald Trump’s request to allow his administration to enforce its new aggressive asylum rules.Out of the four liberal justices sitting on the Supreme Court, Sotomayor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg were the only judges to dissent.“Once again the Executive Branch has issued a rule that seeks to upend longstanding practices regarding refugees who seek shelter from persecution,” Sotomayor wrote in her dissenting opinion. “Although this Nation has long kept its doors open to refugees — and although the stakes for asylum seekers could not be higher — the Government implemented its rule without first providing the public notice and inviting the public input generally required by law.”
Authorities in Fort Lauderdale are currently investigating after two bodies were discovered on the shore of Fort Lauderdale Beach.The discovery was made around 6:13 am Tuesday, along the 3000 block of North Ocean Boulevard.While details surrounding the case have not yet been released, authorities did say that they found the “circumstances” surrounding the deaths “suspicious.”“The most important thing that we can ask for here is the public’s help,” Fort Lauderdale Police Detective Ali Adamson told reporters.If you have any information about this incident, you are asked to call Broward County Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS.
Publix announced they will require customers to wear face coverings in their stores at all times starting July 21st.In a statement, Publix Director of Communications Maria Brous said:“With the number of coronavirus cases continuing to grow and current CDC guidance indicating face coverings can help slow the spread of COVID-19, we believe requiring face coverings in our stores is another way we can do our part to help protect our communities.”Publix will display signs announcing the requirement at store entrances and in-store announcements will be made.Publix said the requirement will not apply to young children and those with medical conditions who are not able to wear them.
And because it’s so popular, it has been a challenge for park system members to hold private programs for the community. But now the park system will be able to keep the existing Skateplex open while hosting programs when appropriate at the new rink. According to Chris Robinson of Branded Skate Shop, located next to the skate park in Long Branch, the store has had “a pretty steady amount of younger kids coming into the shop to check things out and inquire about beginner boards.” Almost daily, he has a parent come in and say that their child has an interest in learning to skate, he said. The existing Skateplex, above, was last renovated in 2015. The park system will soon put almost $1 million of work to add features for beginners nearby on the property.Photo by Allison Perrine Dip benches, magnetic bells, weights, cables, pull-up bars, suspension trainers and more are some equipment pieces that will be installed. The outdoor workout area will be geared toward adults. According to Sardonia, he and other park system members noticed that people were using the lifeguard pull-up area after their runs or walks. “We said, ‘Well, hey, let’s give people an alternative here,’ ” he said. “I think it will be a real welcomed addition as far as the skaters are concerned and we’re concerned,” said Joseph Sardonia, supervising landscape architect. “This is going to be like a premiere facility on the East Coast.” He expressed mixed emotions about separating the beginners from the experienced skaters. “For the most part I think it is fine how it is, but there is definitely some times that would work nicely,” he said. “I don’t think it would have to be completely aimed toward beginners, but it would be very nice to have another facility with some smaller ramps. Even as an experienced skater of 20 years, I am still learning new tricks. It is still fun for me to skate a park that has smaller ramps. Overall, I do think another park for beginners would be nice.” There are other skate facilities available in Monmouth and Ocean counties. Aside from town skateparks in Hazlet and Atlantic Highlands, Kennelly noted new facilities in Neptune and Brick Township that could be good for younger users. “Brick is a more advanced park, but the new Neptune one is smaller and great for beginners,” he said. But Long Branch would be his best pick for younger children to learn to skate, he said. “It has the most to offer for all ages and levels. Even after skating there for almost 15 years now, I still have a blast at the age of 27.” The project will cost about $982,462 and will be done by Your Way Construction, Inc., of Irvington, as stated in a resolution approved by the Monmouth County Board of Recreation Commissioners Nov. 4. Sardonia estimated that work could begin at the beginning of next year and, based on the weather, the facility could open by March or April. Matthew Kenelly completed a “Backside Smith Grind” at the skateplex.Photo courtesy Matthew Kennelly “This is kind of a learning facility, so someone who’s just learning to use a skateboard might feel more comfortable,” said Spears. He said the current skate park attracts a wide range of users, some nationally recognized and highly skilled. That’s where they observed the need for a place for beginners and younger children to learn and practice. The existing Skateplex underwent “a massive redesign” in 2015 to update most of its features with a new concrete street course, according to the park system. It now offers grind rails, quarter pipes, skateable planters and more to its users. It is open year-round from 8 a.m. to dusk and admission is free. Kennelly added that he sees young children skating at the park, which he enjoys. “It’s very refreshing to see them out there trying to learn all the basics. I was in their shoes 20 years ago when I first started, so I know how it feels,” he said. “It can be intimidating at times, especially when you have the older, more experienced skaters around.” In 2017 the Monmouth County Open Space Plan Citizen Survey showed that skate parks were one of the most requested amenities by respondents. Surveys were distributed to over 40,000 people and drew 3,258 visits to the survey website. Of that total, 874 surveys were completed and 98 percent of responders lived in Monmouth County. Robinson said he is surprised there has not been a push to add a BMX – bicycle motocross – portion to the park or elsewhere. “There are a lot of bikers who try to use the park, but are not allowed to.” He said the park is great for the area and brings people in from all over the state and outside of New Jersey. “I think if a town has the money in their budget and there are enough people in the community fighting for a park and there isn’t one close, then it needs to be discussed. It gives a lot of these kids somewhere to go and helps keep them out of trouble,” he said. “There is always a great vibe there, never any issues with fights or anything like that. The older kids are very welcoming and supportive to newer, younger skaters being there and trying to learn. It’s verycool to see.” New features designed for beginner skaters will be implemented just behind the existing county Skateplex at Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park in Long Branch.Photo courtesy Matthew Kennelly Middletown resident Matthew Kennelly, 27, has been skating at the Long Branch Skateplex since it opened in 2005. He said the existing facility is “amazing” and “very enjoyable,” though he does sometimes miss park features present before it was revamped in 2015. LONG BRANCH – Youngsters and beginners looking to take up skateboarding will soon have a new facility at Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park. The county will expand the skate park and add outdoor fitness equipment in the spring. Aside from upgraded skateboarding facilities coming to Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park, there will soon be new amenities for athletes and fitness buffs. According to Spears, new outdoor workout equipment will be installed in the coming months. Because many people jog in the area and use the oceanfront park as a daily workout spot, he said it can be “another option for them to include on their daily run” and “a nice amenity for visitors trying to stay fit.” It will feature various cardio and weight training equipment. New skate features like small ramps and jumps are coming to the former inline skating rink that was damaged during Super Storm Sandy, according to Andrew Spears, assistant director with the Monmouth County Park System. It is located next to the existing Skateplex on Ocean Avenue North. “Personally, I do think it has something to offer for all levels,” said Kennelly. “It has many different obstacles varying in size and height, which I think is perfect for all the different types of experience out there.” The 2019 Park System Recreation Services Plan showed that fitness and sports have high participation rates nationwide and that young children, ages 6 to 17, seem to be focusing on outdoor activities. It also showed that fitness participation rates are increasing in several areas; running and jogging are up 7 percent and walking for fitness is up 2.7 percent. According to the Monmouth County Park System, the 38-acre Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park had about 625,918 visitors in 2018.
The Nelson Selects managed to knock off regional rival Kootenay South to claim the gold medal in the U14 Boys Division Sunday at the Terry Walgren Rep Soccer Tournament at the Lakeside Pitch. Jaydon Wouters, Parker Shaw-Lazier and Jona Caney scored for the Selects during the 3-1 win the gold medal match.Nelson gained a bit of revenge on Kootenay South, winners of the round robin match between the two clubs 2-1. The Selects also defeated Kootenay East 3-0 and Creston 4-0.The folks at Mallard’s Source for Sports would like to add to the celebration by naming the Selects Team of the week.The team includes assistant coach David Bracewell, assistant coach Dino Falcone, head coach Jenny Heston, Thomas Wekwert, Aaron Abrosimoff, Spencer Pearson-Atkins, Marco Falcone, Gareth Bracewell, Parker Shaw-Lintz, Keiran Marchand, Sam Howard, Jaydon Wouters, Raven Argyle, ack McKimm, Quinn Barron, Carter Maclean-Simpson, Rowan Megale, Owen Box, Jona Caney and Riley Osachoff.
The Nelson Leafs are not only turning heads of hockey fans with the fast start this KIJHL season, but players are also finding time to win the hearts of young fans during a floor hockey challenge match at Trafalgar. Some of the Leafs players were at the Uphill-based school on the invitation of teacher Carla DeBiasio.The Leafs were pushed to the limit during the contest.Mallard’s Source for sports would also like to salute the Trafalgar game with Team of the Week honours.The players may be a little out of focus, but that only because they were moving so fast.
SANTA CLARA — Losing 33-30 at Green Bay not only extended the 49ers’ losing streak to four games, it also incited fans to tap into our weekly mailbag:Can we acknowledge that if we are rebuilding, we need to start with the most important position, coach. Kyle Shanahan doesn’t know how to win. (@thewillenium1)Shanahan won quite well when he inserted Jimmy Garoppolo for a 5-0 December debut. But Shanahan did come with the reputation of stubbornly preferring pass plays over clock-killing runs, …
By the time Nadal was biting the handle of the U.S. Open trophy on Sunday night , his usual way of celebrating a tournament victory, he had raised his career Grand Slam championship count to 16: three at Flushing Meadows, an unprecedented 10 at the French Open (including this June, shortly after turning 31), two at Wimbledon and one at the Australian Open.That moved him back within three of Federer, whose 19 is the record among men: an unprecedented eight at the All England Club (including in July, shortly before turning 36), five at the U.S. Open, four at the Australian Open (including in January) and one at Roland Garros.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“Of course, (it’s) something difficult to imagine, eight months ago or nine months ago, that we will be winning two Grand Slams each,” Nadal said. “But here we are.”Indeed, in January, it sure appeared that the two greats of the game had left their best days behind. WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding As of Monday, they are ranked 1-2 .Federer began this season at No. 16, having missed the last half while letting his back and left knee heal.Nadal was No. 9, having pulled out after the second round of the French Open and skipped Wimbledon entirely because of an injured left wrist.“When you get (an) injury,” Nadal said, “then (it) seems like the season is a disaster.”Federer began 2017 having gone 4½ years without a Grand Slam title.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight Rafael Nadal, of Spain, reacts after beating Kevin Anderson, of South Africa, to win the men’s singles final of the U.S. Open tennis tournament, Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017, in New York. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)NEW YORK — Who would have guessed at the start of 2017 that Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer would divvy up the year’s four Grand Slam titles?And who could possibly pretend to know what 2018 will bring for them?ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles03:07PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Nadal’s drought without so much as one appearance in a major semifinal had stretched to about 2½ years.By the end of the Australian Open, though, they were squaring off to decide the title.It was the pair’s ninth Grand Slam final against each other — it’s happened at least twice at each major except the U.S. Open, where they have never met — but first since the 2011 French Open.At the time, Nadal said Sunday, “I was surprised.”But he wasn’t taken aback by what he and Federer were able to do later in the year. It was clear — to Nadal, to everyone — that they were once again capable of being the dominant figures in their sport.“To come back and win all four Grand Slams was quite an achievement, regardless of how good they are. There is a lot of very tough competition,” said Kevin Anderson, the first-time major finalist who failed to put up too much of a fight in a 6-3, 6-3, 6-4 loss to the No. 1-ranked Nadal.“When they’re healthy, I think they have so many skills they can rely on. In addition to that is just the amount of experience they have had,” Anderson said. “Playing at this level, I think they feel very comfortable, and obviously they might get nervous, but just like anything, the more you do it, the more used to it you get.”It didn’t hurt that the three men who are next in the pecking order all had down years and injury issues: Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray and Stan Wawrinka. All missed the U.S. Open. All could return to contention for big prizes next year.Add in that trio’s major totals (Djokovic has 12, Murray and Wawrinka three apiece), and since the start of the 2005 French Open, the top five men have won 49 of the past 51 Grand Slam championships.Still, after all this time, there are still two who stand alone at the top: Rafa and Roger. E.T. returns to earth, reunites with grown-up Elliott in new ad Read Next LA loves the Olympics, even though they’re 11 years away “There is just two things that probably we share — that is passion for what we are doing, passion for tennis , passion for the competition,” Nadal said, “and the spirit of improvement all the time.”The question was put to him Sunday night: How important is it for you to catch Federer in the race for most Grand Slam titles?“I really never thought much about that. I just do my way. He does his way,” Nadal responded. “Let’s see when we finish, no?” View comments