Crisis task team ‘to report back soon’

first_img9 February 2009A report from the task team set up to investigate options to help struggling sectors of South Africa’s economy should be ready by next month, President Kgalema Motlanthe told journalists in Cape Town on Sunday.Motlanthe said the task team, comprising representatives from the government, business and organised labour, had been mandated to make proposals for government assistance to sectors crumbling under the recessionary global environment.“There will be a report available soon from the task team . and we expect they will come back with concrete proposals on how we should respond to the economic meltdown,” Motlanthe said.“We must be mindful of the fact that we don’t know how far the meltdown is going to go, but we have not touched the ground yet. It is difficult to know whether it is a recession or depression,” the President added.Asked how the government might help struggling sectors of the economy, Motlanthe said it would not just throw money at the problem. The task team was looking at various options, he said, with the primary focus on saving jobs.In his state of the nation address in Parliament on Friday, Motlanthe said the global economic meltdown posed “serious dangers for the economy in terms of job losses and the quality of life of our people.“Our central and immediate task is to fully appreciate the consequences of these developments on our economy and our region, and devise responses that will minimise their impact on the most vulnerable sectors of our society.”The demand for South Africa’s exports had decreased and job creation had been negatively affected, with retrenchments already taking place in the car manufacturing sector, among others.The government would adapt industrial financing and incentive instruments to help deal with the challenges in various sectors and to allow employees to keep their jobs, he said.Source: BuaNewslast_img read more

Continue Reading

Did You Know That Artificial Intelligence Could Predict Your Death?

first_imgAI: How it’s Impacting Surveillance Data Storage Follow the Puck Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces Related Posts Dr. Michael Garbadecenter_img What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Artificial intelligence (AI) technology is clearly taking the world by storm.This technology is poised to revolutionize almost every facet of our lives—from how we purchase items to how we communicate to how we move across the world; we seem to be increasingly reliant on AI systems to move our lives forward.Now, AI is pushing its boundaries further by encroaching into deadly territories: predicting death.Andreybu, who is from Germany and has more than five years of experience in training people how AI works, says that “we are yet to see the full potential of employing artificial intelligence to achieve objectives that were previously unimaginable.”What is artificial intelligence?Simply, AI is a branch of computer science that aims to make machines simulate the human intelligence processes.This way, an AI system can recognize commonalities in a dataset and make intelligent predictions.AI systems usually become better at making predictions using a technique referred to as machine learning.Since they imitate human action and rational thought, the intelligent machines can be programmed to achieve various objectives such as autonomically driving cars and identifying shopping trends.This amazing technology has grown over the years. Currently, artificial intelligence systems are used in various fields of the economy to increase efficiency and maximize output.AI in the healthcare sectorAI-enabled systems have been used in the healthcare industry to catapult its growth. Recently, Google created an AI that can be used to predict a patient’s death—astonishingly.To develop the intelligent system, the tech giant collaborated with other experts from The University of San Francisco, California, The University of Chicago Medicine, and Stanford Medicine.Surprisingly, Google claims that the AI can predict when a patient might die more accurately than other traditional models used by doctors.How the Google AI worksGoogle published the results of trying out the death prediction AI in a journal article in May 2018.The system works by chewing up data about various details of a patient such as age, gender, ethnicity, previous diagnosis, present signs, and laboratory results.What’s more, the system can also take data buried on charts and PDFs and use it for making predictions.After testing the algorithm, Google found out that it could make death predictions with an astonishing accuracy level of 95%, which is 10% more accurate than the traditional models.In one of the case studies, the Google AI software crunched about 176,000 data points of the records of a woman with metastatic cancer and pronounced that she had a 19.9% chance of dying in the hospital. The doctors at the hospital had given her a 9.3% chance of dying.Amazingly, as predicted by the AI software, the woman died after two weeks—beating the doctors at their own game.Although the Google’s AI may not be perfect at predicting deaths, it would continue to perform better as it is ‘taught’ with more data.Therefore, if this breakthrough healthcare technology is improved, it can reduce human error in medicine and lead to more lives being saved.Wrapping upGoogle’s artificial intelligence technology can assist medical professionals to improve diagnosis and make better decisions, ultimately leading to enhanced patient care.So, the next time you visit the hospital, please ask if they can run the AI algorithm against your records and assess your chances of survival.Would you take that bold step?Please let us know in the comment section below. Dr. Michael is the CEO of the Los Angeles-based blockchain education company LiveEdu. It’s the world’s leading project learning platform that equips people with practical skills on creating complete products in future technological fields. last_img read more

Continue Reading

America lucky I didn’t come 10 years ago, would have become President: Ibrahimovic

first_imgZlatan Ibrahimovic has grabbed headlines yet again but not for scoring a spectacular goal, like he usually does, but for his comments, the other thing that he is extremely famous for.The Swedish superstar moved to the Major League Soccer in the United States of America earlier this year and has already taken the league by storm. He currently plays for LA Galaxy – signing a day after Manchester United released him from his contract.Since the move, Ibrahimovic has scored 12 goals in his first 15 games while also providing two assists. The now 36-year-old Ibrahimovic trails the MLS’s leading goal scorer, Atlanta’s Josef Martinez (who has 22) by just 10 goals, having played seven fewer matches.When Ibrahimovic was asked how he has changed America’s football culture, he said, “I don’t know if I have changed, I just keep doing my job. They are lucky I didn’t come 10 years ago because I would have been President today.”While Ibrahimovic’s comment may sound spectacular like he almost always does, it is not possible as only an American citizen or someone born on US soil or an overseas territory of the country can become the President of the United States of America.In an earlier interview with CNN back in 2016, incidentally before Donald Trump became President, Ibrahimovic was asked to finish the sentence: “Donald Trump is…”Ibrahimovic replied with, “I don’t care.”On Monday, Ibrahimovic paid a visit to Manchester United’s pre-season preparations in Los Angeles. He attended the open training session at UCLA and later, while speaking to the reporters, he said he was impressed by what he saw.advertisement”I’ve been watching United train and I see a lot of quality — not quality like me, but it’s okay,” Ibrahimovic posted on Instagram.”Great to see the guys again, and to see them happy. Be ready for this season because something special will happen. The boss has something going on so we’ll keep that a secret.”Good luck and I wish you all the best.”last_img read more

Continue Reading

Ohio State mens basketball uses late run to pull out 6550 victory

The OSU men’s basketball team huddles before the game against Wyoming Nov. 25. OSU won, 65-50, at The Schottenstein Center. Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editorThe Ohio State men’s basketball team used a 20-5 run in the last 13 minutes of play to secure its fifth victory of the season, defeating Wyoming 65-50.OSU senior guard Lenzelle Smith Jr. poured in a game-high 20 points on 5-8 shooting from 3-point land. Junior center Amir Williams did his part, recording a double-double with 12 points and 16 boards.“I thought that Lenzelle was the difference in the game,” Wyoming coach Larry Shyatt said.Despite only allowing an average of 23.5 points in the first half of its first four games, OSU gave up 34 in the first 20 minutes against the Cowboys. Wyoming shot 56 percent from the field and had 24 points in the paint before halftime.“Quite honestly, it was like a layup clinic,” OSU coach Thad Matta said about the opening half.The Buckeyes struggled containing Akron, Ohio, native Larry Nance Jr throughout. The 6-foot-8-inch junior forward had 11 points on 5-9 shooting in the first half, including multiple dunks. Nance finished with a double-double in his homecoming, scoring 17 points and collecting 12 rebounds.The Buckeyes leaned on 3-point shooting in the first half, tossing in six of 13 attempts. Smith Jr. accounted for half of those makes to give him a game-high of 12 points at the half. OSU made just 28.6 percent of its 3-pointers coming into Monday, tied for worst in the Big Ten with Indiana.Matta said Williams’ improved play and resulting defensive attention helped his team make open shots from the perimeter.“It’s hard to leave (him defensively) now, and you saw the effects when they did,” Matta said about the added attention to the Buckeye center.OSU struggled to continue its hot shooting from deep to start the second half, as they missed three attempts from range in their first five possessions.The poor shooting allowed the Cowboys to get a three point advantage, 42-39, with 15:27 remaining, prompting Matta to call a timeout.Matta’s men responded with a 6-1 run, but a rocking Schottenstein Center was abruptly silenced by a technical foul call on junior guard Shannon Scott with 13:06 remaining after he appeared to knock over a Wyoming player with a forearm to the chest.Matta did not comment on the call after the game, as he said he was not watching Scott when it occurred.Junior guard Riley Grabau made both ensuing free throws for the Cowboys, tying the game at 45.OSU scored 12 of the game’s next 14 points to open up a 10 point lead with just under six minutes remaining. The Buckeyes would not look back, pushing the lead all the way to 15 at game’s end, OSU’s largest lead of the night. Wyoming failed to make a shot from the field in the game’s final 10 minutes.Junior forward LaQuinton Ross also struggled offensively, posting just three points and one rebound in 19 minutes of action in another disappointing performance.“He needs to make some shots,” Matta said. “LaQuinton needs to trust himself.”Matta said his starting five will not change before the next game.OSU is set to return to action Friday against North Florida at 5 p.m. in the Schottenstein Center. read more

Continue Reading

Salah reveals the secrets to his outstanding form

first_imgLiverpool’s Mohamed Salah has shared that good nutrition and an “easy life” are the key elements behind his breakthrough seasonThe Egypt international was at his best, once more, for Liverpool as they defeated his former club AS Roma 5-2 at Anfield on Tuesday night for the first leg of their semi-final tie in the Champions League, with Salah bagging a brace of goals and assists.But the 25-year-old has now revealed how that good nutrition and his prior footballing experiences have played a key role in his life.“Nutrition is so important, it’s part of the game,” Salah told CNN (via Daily Mail).“It has helped with my recovery, allowed me to sleep better and helped my body adapt quickly.“My nutritionist says that because I don’t have any fat on my body, I can eat what I want. I also don’t drink so it’s fine.“When I go back to Egypt, I call my friend from the airport to buy kushari for us to eat in the car. I pull my hoodie over my head, jump into the car and then I’m eating it straight away.”divock origi, liverpoolReport: Origi cause Klopp injury concerns George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Divock Origi injury in today’s game against Newcastle is a cause for concern for Jurgen Klopp.Perhaps with one eye on Tuesday’s trip to Italy…The kushari dish is made of rice, macaroni, and lentils, but it doesn’t appear to have had any negative effect on Salah with the Egyptian having now scored a total of 43 goals this season.But Salah, who has now scored more goals than any other player in Europe this season, insists that he has an “easy life”.“If you talk only about Egypt, we are 100 million,’ he continued. ‘I have to be natural and not doing anything fake, not lying on social media, in interviews and life.“This is my life, it’s an easy life. It’s not complicated. I have nothing much to do during the day but it’s a responsibility in the end.“You have to take it easy and carry on. I’m not nervous about that,’ he adds. ‘It’s also a little bit difficult because you don’t have the freedom to make mistakes or something wrong.“That’s pressure but when you’ve been under pressure for many years you can deal with it. It’s fine.’last_img read more

Continue Reading

Khazri joins SaintEtienne

first_imgWahbi Khazri has left English side Sunderland to join Saint-Etienne, according to Goal.The Tunisian has called time on his nightmare spell with Sunderland after playing only 42 times in three seasons to sign for French Club Saint-Etienne.Khazri captained his country Tunisia to the just concluded FIFA World Cup in Russia scoring twice and providing the assists as the Carthage Eagles failed to move beyond the group stages of the competition.Tunisia were placed in group G alongside eventual second runners-up Belgium, England and new comers Panama. They manage a single victory which was a 2-1 win over Panama before they were eliminated and sent home.Khazri spent last season on loan from Sunderland with Rennes in France scoring nine times in 27 appearances.Victor Osimhen taking over Ligue 1 Taimoor Khan – August 29, 2019 He might have only recently joined Lille but Victor Osimhen has perfectly adjusted to life in Ligue 1 and scored a brace to hand…That form led to Saint-Etienne signing the winger on a four-year deal from Sunderland for a fee thought to be around £8million.The 27-year-old signed for Wearside based Sunderland in January 2016 from Bordeaux helping the club avoid the drop to the Sky Bet Championship that season. He only manages three goals in 42 appearances for the now relegated team who find themselves in the championship.Frederic Paquet, Saint-Etienne director believes that Khazri can improve much more as he returns back to France.“At his age now Wahbi has reached more maturity. He led from the front for his country with outstanding performances though they failed to make it past the group stages.” Paquet said.“He’s has a lot of character and he’s a gifted technical footballer as well. I’m sure he’ll do well for us.”last_img read more

Continue Reading

Danny Simpson to leave Leicester before deadline day

first_imgLeicester’s Danny Simpson may not feature in Claude Puel’s plans this season and may be forced to leave before the end of this summer transfer window, a report in Sky Sports claims.On 30 August 2014 signed a three-year contract for fellow promoted team Leicester City for an undisclosed fee. Simpson made his Leicester debut in a 2–0 defeat against Crystal Palace off the bench on 27 September 2014.However, he didn’t make his second appearance for the club until 7 December against Aston Villa, as he often struggled to get into the side ahead of regular right-back Ritchie De Laet. Simpson made 14 appearances overall for Leicester in the 2014–15 season.Chelsea Player Ratings against Leicester City Taimoor Khan – August 19, 2019 Chelsea made a promising start to their second league game of the season but were unable to keep the same levels in the second…In the 2015–16 season, De Laet was again preferred ahead of Simpson to begin with. However, following a 5–2 defeat by Arsenal.Simpson became a regular for the rest of the season, though was sent-off in the return fixture against Arsenal as Leicester went down to a late 2–1 defeat, the Foxes held on to win their first ever Premier League title.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Arrival in Nassau of the Queens of Baton for the Commonwealth Youth

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, July 20, 2017 – Nassau – Arrival in Nassau at Lynden Pindling International Airport of the Queen’s Baton on July 18, 2017 for the Commonwealth Youth Games 2017 scheduled to officially open later that evening.   From left are: Wellington Miller, President of the Bahamas Olympic Committee; Commonwealth Games Federation Regional Vice-President for the Americas K.A. Juman-Yassin; and Commonwealth Games Federation Honourary Legal Advisor Sharon Osborne, QC.(BIS Photos/Raymond A. Bethel, Sr.) Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApplast_img

Continue Reading

CES Responds To House Fire Off Huntington Drive

first_imgAccording to Grimes none of the occupants of the home were injured in the fire, and CES crews rescued the pets on scene.  Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Central Emergency Services along with mutual aid from the Kenai Fire Department and Alaska State Troopers responded to a house fire off of Huntington Drive in Soldotna. This is a developing story- as of 4:30 p.m. crews were still on scene. Traffic on Huntington was blocked in both directions. CES Chief Dan Grimes: “We got called at 3:08 p.m., to report of a structure fire here off of Huntingdon. When we arrived we found heavy fire on the alpha side of the building, and coming from the roof. We went to work and made an aggressive interior attack starting putting the fire out.” CES responded with an engine, three medic units, and a mutual aid engine from Kenai. A total of 19 CES personal were on scene with two chiefs and a training officer.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Load More