Medical helicopter crash kills three in Wisconsin

first_imgiStock/Thinkstock(MADISON, Wisc.) — Three people have died after the medical helicopter they were on crashed in Wisconsin, according to officials.The medical chopper was returning from dropping a patient off in Madison when it crashed in a forest near the town of Hazelhurst, a spokesperson for the National Transportation Safety Board told ABC News. All of the three people on board were members of the flight crew, the spokesperson said.The helicopter belongs to Air Methods, a privately owned operator, according to the NTSB. The company called 911 after noticing that it had dropped off radar around 10:43 p.m. Thursday.The chopper was en route to Woodruff, Wisconsin, and crashed about 12 miles south of its destination, the FAA said in a statement.The Oneida County Sheriff’s Office received a call around 11:22 p.m. that night referring to the missing air ambulance, it said. Emergency responders later found the wreckage near Hazelhurst, authorities said.Further details on the incident were not available. The NTSB and FAA are investigating the crash.Skies were clear with calm winds and good visibility at the time of the crash, with temperatures near 32 degrees, according to ABC News meteorologists.Between 2008 and 2018, there have been 84 accidents involving helicopter emergency medical services, which resulted in 103 fatalities, 49 of whom were on board, according to data from the NTSB.In 2009, the NTSB made recommendations that the FAA did not adopt, it said, including requiring all helicopter emergency medical services pilots to conduct scenario-based training in simulators, which would allow them to train for emergency situations, especially those too dangerous to practice in.Other NTSB recommendations that the FAA did not adopt were requiring night vision imaging systems for pilots flying at night and requiring medical choppers to be equipped with autopilots, which would allow the pilot more time to program avionics, run checklists and communicate.The recommendations were reiterated by the NTSB in 2016, but the FAA still did not adopt them.The NTSB called the FAA’s failure to not adopt its recommendations “unacceptable.” The FAA did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment.In a joint statement, Air Methods and Ascension Wisconsin said it is “deeply saddened and mourning the loss of three teammates who were aboard the air medical helicopter that went down in Hazelhurst, Wisconsin, on April 26.”“Our heartfelt sympathies and condolences go out to the families and friends of the crew on board,” the statement read. “We will not release any names at this time to respect the privacy of their families.”The company has suspended operations of air and ground medical transport temporarily, according to the statement.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Continue Reading

3 days agoGenoa confirm appointment of new coach Thiago Motta

first_imgGenoa confirm appointment of new coach Thiago Mottaby Carlos Volcano3 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveGenoa have confirmed the appointment of Thiago Motta as new coach.Motta has already taken charge of the first training session.Aurelio Andreazzoli was fired earlier on Tuesday, the Motta announcement was made several hours later.Motta takes charge of a Genoa side who have lost six of their last seven games, resulting in Andreazzoli’s demise.He retired from professional football at the end of 17-18 and spent last season coaching PSG’s Under-19 team. TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your saylast_img

Continue Reading

RCMP arrest reporter war chief at ongoing antifracking protest in New Brunswick

first_img(Media Co-op reporter is shown being arrested by the RCMP Thursday for allegedly uttering death threats against a senior RCMP officer. Photo by Jorge Barrera/APTN.)By Jorge Barrera and Kenneth JacksonAPTN National NewsTensions flared again in New Brunswick where anti-fracking protestors have been holding camp when a reporter was arrested and a war chief charged for allegedly obstructing police in connection.Police arrested reporter Miles Howe Thursday afternoon after walking up to him and shaking his hand. They then told him he was under arrest for allegedly making death threats against an RCMP officer.War Chief John Levi was charged with obstruction in connection to Howe’s arrest.Howe, who works for Media Co-op, an independent media organization, has been covering the ongoing protests since the middle of last month when they began.During that time the RCMP have arrested dozens of protestors who are trying to stop seismic testing related to shale gas exploration in New Brunswick near the Elispogtog First Nation.“Miles was arrested while I waited with him to get permission to go see exploration site,” APTN reporter Jorge Barrera tweeted and is on the scene. “Miles was arrested for allegedly ‘uttering death threats’ against senior RCMP officer who made the arrest after shaking Miles’ hand.”Barrera said police took Howe’s phone and camera.In a story posted to their website the Halifax bureau of Media Co-op accused the RCMP of a “blantant effort to silence” Howe’s reporting on the frontlines.“His arrest is a clear effort to silence grassroots voices,” the story said.A group of about 50 people from Elsiopogtog travelled to the site of Howe’s arrest Thursday afternoon and picked berries on the side of the road to “assert our sovereignty.”The group also danced and drummed while waving the Mi’kmaq flag in front of RCMP trucks blocking a road leading to where exploration continues for shale gas.Howe is being held at the Codiac detachment near Moncton.No RCMP officers on the scene would [email protected]last_img read more

Continue Reading

I am no slouch in white ball cricket Ashwin on ODI exclusion

first_imgMumbai: On a day when country’s seniormost speedster Ishant Sharma spoke about how perceptions affected his chances in ODIs” his Test teammate Ravichandran Ashwin also echoed same sentiments reminding that he is “no slouch with white ball”. Ashwin has not played limited overs cricket since 2017 West Indies tour as selectors and team management felt that wrist spinners Kuldeep Yadav and Yuzvendra Chahal are better options. To be fair to both Virat Kohli and Ravi Shastri, both Kuldep and Chahal have done well. Also Read – Andy Murray to make Grand Slam return at Australian Open”I don’t know, it is a perception. I am no slouch. In the white ball format, my records are not bad like what it is perceived to be. It is out of perception that wrist spinners are required in modern one day cricket that I am sitting out,” straight-talking off-spinner said when asked about the challenge of concentrating on one format. He also pointed out that in his last ODI game for the country against the West Indies in North Sound on June 30, 2017 he had returned figures of 3 for 28. Also Read – Fast bowler Behrendorff to undergo spinal surgery”The last ODI I played, I got 3 for 28. I would always look back at my career and I would like to believe it’s not due to my efforts that I am sitting out (but) it is due to the supply and demand that the team requires,” he said. Ashwin is happy with his performance in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy where he got seven wickets from six games at a decent economy. “I went and played the Syed Mushtaq Ali (T20 tournament) and I had a decent outing. That’s how I look at it. I am playing cricket and it is not like I need to specialise in one particular format. It is the challenges of the modern day game, I will be looking forward to do whatever I can do best,” explained the 32-year bowler. Ashwin, captain of the Kings XI team in the IPL, spoke to the media after unveiling a unique cricket memorabilia launched by UK-based CricFig International along with Tamil Nadu teammate and Kolkata Knight Riders’ skipper Dinesh Kartik here. On the issue of limiting the workload on India players in the IPL ahead of the World Cup, Ashwin said it’s not easy to look too far ahead and also mentioned that the players knew about how to maintain fitness. “I don’t think as a cricketer you can look far ahead about what needs to be done and how you can manage it. As a cricketer or as a sportsperson, you just concentrate on what happens today. The franchise has invested money on you. Obviously, it is a massive tournament, everybody plays for pride, everybody wants to perform and excel.” However he agreed that the workload factor will always stay at the back of their heads. “It definitely stays at the back of the head because it is being spoken about a lot more right now. I am sure the players are responsible enough and more fitness-aware and be able to handle it than they ever were. “I don’t think going into the tournament people will be thinking about it but as the tournament pans out and the way it goes for each and every franchise and for each and every player, they will take decisions wisely.” But at the same time he said the World Cup was huge and no one wants to miss it. “Probably because of the number of injuries and the amount of premium players that are right now available for the country and how important every spot is. It is a dream for every cricketer to represent his country at the World Cup, it is a big stage. Obviously, bowlers have more chances of succumbing to injuries because of the workload they go through.”last_img read more

Continue Reading

NCPCR seeks report from Noida police over sexual harassment of minor girl

first_imgNew Delhi: The National Commission For Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) has written to Senior Superintendent of Police (Gautam Budh Nagar) seeking report regarding sexual harassment case of the 11-year-old minor girl. The letter from child rights body reads that the commission has taken cognizance of the case under section 13 (1) (j) of CPCR Act, 2005. The complaint is received through the POCSO E-Box button.”You have requested to inquire into the matter and take lawful action in the case. An action taken report of the case along with the relevant documents must be furnished to the Commission,” said the letter. An official from the commission said that they have got the information on May 5. Also Read – Odd-Even: CM seeks transport dept’s views on exemption to women, two wheelers, CNG vehiclesAccording to NCPCR official, a doctor from Delhi based hospital reached them through POCSO E-box. “The doctor told us that 11-year-old girl came to the hospital. She was diagnosed with dissociation she was admitted in the ward for management and assessment,” said the official. During an interview she disclosed that a boy in the neighbourhood touched her inappropriately which made her feel uncomfortable she has seen him doing the same with another girl in Noida. “The girl was in complete shock after the incident due to which she was taken to hospital,” said official. After receiving the information Yashwant Jain member NCPCR wrote the letter to Noida police seeking action in the case.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Record 9247 students clear Goa Board Class 10 exam

first_imgPanaji: Class 10 students recorded 92.47 passing percentage in the Goa Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education Board exam this year, the highest in the last five years, Board Chairman Ramkrishna Samant said on Tuesday. “From 83.51 per cent in 2014, the passing percentages have shown a gradual increase over the past five years, with the highest 91.57 pass percentage recorded in 2017,” he added. Girls scored 92.64 passing percentage against 92.31 per cent by the boys. Also Read – Personal life needs to be respected: Cong on reports of Rahul’s visit abroad Of the 18,684 students who appeared for the exam, 17,287 students passed, with 98 schools achieving 100 per cent results. Congratulating the students who cleared the exam, Chief Minister Pramod Sawant said: “It is heartening to note that the overall passing percentage of 92.47 per cent is the highest ever in our state and 98 schools achieved 100 per cent passing results.” The SSC examinations were held in 21 centres across Goa in April.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Besos de Arena a recent Spanish novel exposes slavery in Polisarios

first_imgCasablanca – Reyes Monfrte, Spanish writer and journalist, has recently released a novel based on real events depicting slavery and appalling living conditions of the Saharawis living in Tindouf camps.The 414-pages novel notably depicts the suffering endured by dark skinned girls in Tindouf’s Polisario camps, where practices of slavery are still ongoing.“BESOS de ARENA” tells the story of a young Saharwi woman who was subjected to slavery practices as a little girl. Her “masters” in Tindouf camps changed her origin name from Noah to Laia, just as they tragically altered her innocent childhood. The writer recalls the bad memories of Laia when she had to spend numerous nights in the open air tied with a rope for the simple reason that she couldn’t finish her daily chores.Laia’s early life reflects a story of a girl whose rights to childhood are cruelly violated, the simplest of which is the right to rest and leisure, to engage in play and recreational activities appropriate to the age of the child, as stated by the international Convention on the rights of the child.The main character’s testimonies went so far as to mirror the miserable living conditions of thousands of Saharawis inside what can be described as one of the largest open-air prisons in the world.Yet, the work is not the first of its kind. Violeta Ayala and Daniel Fallshaw filmed a controversial documentary in the Tindouf camps, exposing slave trade and depicting scenes of little girls offered for sale and subsequently tortured.Human Rights Watch showed at the time concerns over the facts revealed through the film.“In 2007 two Australian documentary filmmakers who had been filming in the camps stated that they had found evidence that dark-skinned refugees in the camps were victims of ongoing, traditional practices of slavery,” said the human rights watchdog.“These inhuman practices have been criticized by international NGOs,” the author of  “Besos de Arena”  told Argentina’s Telam  press agency.She went on to explain that in the past people indulged “in trafficking in exchange for camels or settling a debt, but now many women are subjected to  this tradition without asking anything in return.” Reyes Monforte added that “women are also bartered for goods.”Slavery is still a common practice in the camps, condemned by both Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch.HRW  highlighted that  “Black-skinned Sahrawis constitute a small minority of the population in the camps. Some members of that minority are “owned” by “white” persons or families.”Polisario denied its responsibility over the practice, but the reality is in sharp contrast with the Front’s allegations, given the fact that a “slave” woman cannot marry without the consent of her “owner.” According to HRW, a religious  judge or “qadi” will decline to perform the marriage in case a “master”  doesn’t approve of it.Slavery practices will continue to take place in the camps run by Polisario, just as human conscience will go on condemning unjust inhuman practices around the world, including Tindouf.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Load More