London, United Kingdom | AFP | Chelsea pledged to help authorities investigate after a report Friday said three former youth-team players had launched legal claims against the club alleging they were bullied and racially abused.Britain’s Guardian newspaper said former youth coach Graham Rix and ex-chief scout Gwyn Williams had allegedly abused the black players in the 1990s.The claims — denied by Rix and Williams — have already been investigated by the police, who decided to take no further action, but they are being looked at by the club and the Football Association, which has reportedly interviewed two of the players.According to the report, Rix threw a cup of hot coffee in the face of one of the players and left one of the complainants with a bleeding nose after throwing a ball at him.And the alleged victims say they were consistently racially abused with a series of taunts.“These allegations were the subject of a thorough investigation by specialist officers of the Metropolitan Police Service,” a statement from the pair’s lawyer Eddie Johns said.“The MPS did not consider there was sufficient evidence even to report it to the Crown Prosecution Service. Our clients cooperated with that investigation. “The allegations in the Guardian newspaper are contained, as we understand it, within correspondence sent to Chelsea Football Club. That correspondence has not been seen by our clients or by us.“No correspondence has been sent to our clients or us by these individuals or those representing them. We will of course deal with any allegations if made directly to our clients. Our clients are cooperating fully with the FA in this matter.”Former Arsenal and England player Rix, 60, left Chelsea in 2000, a year after being jailed for having sex with an underage girl, while Williams left the club in 2006.The story broke just before Chelsea head coach Antonio Conte’s pre-match press conference for Saturday’s Premier League game at home to Leicester, forcing the club’s director of communications Steve Atkins to intervene with a statement.“I can’t answer specifically to the story you mentioned,” said Atkins, in response to a reporter’s question.“What I can say is that we take allegations of this nature extremely seriously, we are absolutely determined to do the right thing, to fully support those affected and assist the authorities and support their investigations. That’s all I can say.”An FA spokesman declined to comment.Share on: WhatsApp
The 45-year-old former legendary defender combined the job with being coach of Chinese Super League (CSL) title-contenders Guangzhou Evergrande.However, China lost to lower-ranked Thailand and Uzbekistan in Cannavaro’s opening two matches and he quit, saying that he could not do two jobs at once.Re-enter his mentor Lippi, who was a three-time CSL champion with Guangzhou and among the best-paid coaches in football during his first spell in charge of the national side.He will earn similarly well in his second spell, with Evergrande subsiding his wages, Chinese media said.Lippi, who is surely in his last job in football, marginally improved China last time, winning 13 of his 32 games in charge and losing 11.He failed to take China to Russia 2018 following his appointment in October 2016, although qualification was already in doubt following a poor run under Gao Hongbo.Lippi’s first match back at the helm will be a home game against the Philippines on June 7, followed by another home friendly, with Tajikistan, four days later.World Cup qualification starts in September.Share on: WhatsApp Marcello Lippi has been nominated again as the head coach of the China men’s national football team, the Chinese Football Association confirmsShanghai, China | AFP | Marcello Lippi was back as coach of China on Friday, four months after the World Cup winner quit and following a failed stint by fellow Italian Fabio Cannavaro.The 71-year-old Lippi’s return to the top job in Chinese football had been widely tipped in domestic media and will be welcomed by fans.Lippi, who vacated the role after China were dumped out of the Asian Cup quarter-finals 3-0 by Iran in late January, is tasked with guiding the team to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.China have reached the World Cup only once, in 2002, when they exited without a point or scoring a goal.“Since Lippi coached the national team, they have shown a positive and tenacious fighting spirit,” the Chinese Football Association (CFA) said.“We believe that in the days to come, under the leadership of Lippi and his coaching team, the national men’s side will make a full impact on their World Cup dreams.”China sit a lowly 74th in the FIFA rankings, a rung above Cape Verde — whose population is 550,000, compared with China’s 1.4 billion.But under football-fan President Xi Jinping, China have ambitions to host and even win a World Cup.The reappointment of Lippi, who took Italy to World Cup glory in 2006, follows four months of confusion and speculation.The former Juventus, Inter Milan and Napoli boss was succeeded by his World Cup-winning captain Cannavaro in March.
He continued his rise in long distance athletics by running the world’s fastest 15k in 41.05 minutes, taking 8 seconds off the previous mark set in 2010.He would become the first Ugandan to hold two world records if his race goes according to plan on Sunday.RELATED STORIES Share on: WhatsApp Cheptegei already in Spain. PHOTO @VCRunning Today 10.30 am Star to watch: Cheptegei WATCH LIVE here (click)<span data-mce-type=”bookmark” style=”display: inline-block; width: 0px; overflow: hidden; line-height: 0;” class=”mce_SELRES_start”></span><span data-mce-type=”bookmark” style=”display: inline-block; width: 0px; overflow: hidden; line-height: 0;” class=”mce_SELRES_start”></span>Valencia, Spain | THE INDEPENDENT & @VCRunning | The 10K Valencia Trinidad Alfonso, which will be held in parallel with the Valencia Marathon on the Sunday December 1, will be the last edition of this event in Valencia. That is why an attempt will be made to set a new world record over this distance to mark the occasion.The Organisers of the 10K — SD Correcaminos (running club) and Valencia City Council — have selected the Ugandan athlete Joshua Cheptegei to make the attempt to beat the world record, currently set by the Kenyan runner Leonard Patrick Komon (26:44) in Utrecht on the 26th of September 2010.Cheptegei is a member of the NN Running Team, the world’s first professional athletics team and has trained hard for two months to be in tip-top form to compete in Valencia City of Running, on the 1st of December.The Ugandan athlete said earlier: “I want to beat the world record in Valencia, Ciudad del Running. I know it is a very fast circuit and that it has an amazing Finish. That’s why I hope to make history in what will be the last edition of the 10K Valencia Trinidad Alfonso”.Cheptegei, who arrived in Valencia early Thursday, is the reigning World 10,000m champion and 2019 World cross country champion.He is confident he will break the record. (video below)“I have one goal in Valencia, and that is to be the fastest man in history over 10km”, said the Ugandan athlete. This means he will have to beat 26:44, the present world record set by Leonard Komon. Valencia’s circuit makes it the best place to try for a new world record.Johua Cheptegei became only the second Ugandan athlete after legend John Akii-Bua to set a world best time, with his stunning run last year at the 15km NN Zevenheuvelenloop (Seven Hills Race) in Nijmegen, The Netherlands.
Monday, President Donald Trump falsely claimed that it will be his decision when the nation’s businesses will reopen during the coronavirus pandemic, and not a choice left to individual governors, according to the mainstream media.CNN and CNBC report that legal experts say Trump is wrong. For one, they note that U.S. law gives state governors wide latitude to protect the health and safety of their constituents. Secondly, they point out that Trump never declared a nationwide lockdown, so there’s no mechanism by which he could order a nationwide reopening now, namely. According to the U.S. National Emergency code, the president does have full authority to act if his declaration is supported by specified provisions of law.SUBCHAPTER III—EXERCISE OF EMERGENCY POWERS AND AUTHORITIES§1631. Declaration of national emergency by Executive order; authority; publication in Federal Register; transmittal to CongressWhen the President declares a national emergency, no powers or authorities made available by statute for use in the event of an emergency shall be exercised unless and until the President specifies the provisions of law under which he proposes that he, or other officers will act. Such specification may be made either in the declaration of a national emergency, or by one or more contemporaneous or subsequent Executive orders published in the Federal Register and transmitted to the Congress.(Pub. L. 94–412, title III, §301, Sept. 14, 1976, 90 Stat. 1257.)The Constitution does not expressly grant the President additional war powers or other powers in times of national emergency. However, many scholars think that the Framers implied these powers because the structural design of the Executive Branch enables it to act faster than the Legislative Branch. Nevertheless, because the Constitution remains silent on the issue, the Judiciary cannot grant these powers to the Executive Branch when it tries to wield them. The courts will only recognize a right of the Executive Branch to use emergency powers if Congress has granted such powers to the President.While the president believes he does have full authority per the US code he says he may not use it that he prefers to work with the governors in reopening the country state by state.President Trump promises that he will make an announcement and provide guidelines to re-open economy in the coming days.Read full U.S. National Emergency code here.
In Spain the running of the bulls is popular but the Eagles found that flying over the Bulls to be most effective.Currently USO (University Prep, Sci-Tech, Obama Academy) is considered the best in the City League and proved that against Brashear. In a 51-6 win over the Bulls, Ronald Brown completed 28 aerials for 343 yards and 5 touchdowns last week at Cupples Stadium to improve to 4-0. Although, Brashear fell to 1-3, the game was much closer than the score.In the first quarter 290-pound, two-way tackle Jordan Mabin was playing like a man possessed and Brashear held the Eagles scoreless in the first quarter. However, Mabin suffered a high-ankle sprain on the final play of the quarter and the Eagles took advantage of his absence and two plays later Brown hit Nicholas Stallworth for a 65-yard touchdown and the rout was on.During his debut as USO’s quarterback, Brown completed passes for a western, Pennsylvania record 468 yards against Shenandoah Valley and he broke his own record by passing for 525 yards and seven scoring strikes in University Prep’s victory, 52-21, against Carrick.In four victories, everything is going as expected for Brown and the Eagles. In filling the vacancy caused by Akil Young’s matriculation to college football, Brown has completed 89 of 133 passes for 1,680 yards and 23 touchdowns. Currently, he ranks No. 1 in the City, WPIAL and State in passing.But, Brown has also honed his skills and mobility, in part to his early participation in the Homewood and Brushton Youth Football Association.“Ron has all the tools. His strength is his arm,” said Homewood Mighty Mites coach Kedric Starkey. “I knew he was a special back then. In a game against Lincoln we were down by five late in the game and he asked the coaches to put the ball in his hands. He took us 90 yards in seven straight passes to get us into the end zone. That’s when I knew how good this kid was.”His ability enhances his wide receivers. For example, against the Shenandoah Valley, Marcus Johnson caught five passes for 265 yards. While team objectives come first, Brown, who is only 5-foot-9, 150-pound junior, and Johnson, a 6-foot-1, 170-pound senior, understands that winning is critical to their personal success, too. Johnson is a potential Division I prospect. Hampton University made an offer and Pitt, Temple, Bowling Green and Toledo has expressed some interest. But what about “Downtown” Brown?“There’s so much talent in the City League, but they often get passed over by recruiters because of their off-the-field antics and behavior.We as a staff are committed to helping these young men carry themselves in a respectable manner while teaching a little football as well,” said former Pittsburgh Steelers and current USO’s Defensive Coach Mike Logan. “Ronald Brown makes it easy to coach when his football IQ is on point. He understands what we are trying to do. If he was over 6’0 he would be a top prospect!”Brown’s other touchdowns went to Clay Moorefield (7 yards), Stephon Hawthorne (44 yards) and Marcus Johnson (20 and 30 yards). Stallworth also returned an interception 41 yards for a touchdown.Quarterback Angelo Reed ran 11 yards for Brashear’s only touchdown.USO will look for win No. 4 in the City League showdown when they battle Allderdice on Oct. 4 at Cupples Stadium Follow @NewPghCourier on Twitter https://twitter.com/NewPghCourierLike us at https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Pittsburgh-Courier/143866755628836?ref=hlDownload our mobile app at http://www.appshopper.com/news/new-pittsburgh-courier RONALD BROWN passed for 343 yards and 5 touchdowns in leading USO over Brashear. (Photos by William McBride)
APTN National NewsHow many homeless people are on the streets of Montreal?That is what Montreal wants to find out.The city’s campaign is called “I Count Montreal.”Hundreds of volunteers took to the streets, shelters, parks and alleys to find out how many are homeless.APTN’s Danielle Rochette has the story.