first_imgBARCELONA, Spain (AP) – Real Madrid head to Manchester City for tomorrow’s first leg of their Champions League semi-final with dark clouds over Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema. Both star strikers, who have scored 74 goals between them this season, are nursing right-leg injuries. Ronaldo strained a muscle in a win over Villarreal on Wednesday, ruling him out of Saturday’s match at Rayo Vallecano — that Benzema exited before halftime with a leg injury of his own. Coach Zinedine Zidane said that Ronaldo, who trained on Sunday, will travel with the squad to England. Benzema is a bigger worry for the former France great. “We’re going to assess Benzema,” Zidane said after Saturday’s match. “All I can say is that it’s not a knock. I hope that it’s nothing serious and that he’ll be available for Tuesday.” The 10-time champions have already found their saviour in case Ronaldo and Benzema have not fully recovered to face City. Gareth Bale rose to the occasion when both his strike partners were out on Saturday, scoring two goals to lead a 3-2 comeback victory at Rayo that kept Madrid in the fight for the Spanish league title. For Bale, Madrid have the “psychological” advantage of playing the second leg back in Spain. “If we get a good result in the Etihad Stadium, back at the Bernabeu our fans are always going to help us,” Bale said. “As long as we don’t lose there, we’ll be very confident at the Bernabeu.” Under former Madrid manager Manuel Pellegrini, City are in fine form domestically in April. Besides a draw against lowly Newcastle, high-scoring wins — 3-0 over Chelsea and a 4-0 rout of Stoke on Saturday — are a reminder of City at their best. Kevin de Bruyne has been the inspiration behind the revival, as a dynamo in midfielder since returning after two months out. The Belgian was rested against Stoke in preparation for Madrid. “Now almost everybody is back and it gives us a different feeling,” De Bruyne said.last_img read more

first_img Ronaldo warned Lukaku how hard scoring goals in Serie A would be before Inter move 2 huge blow RANKED REVEALED getty no dice Forbes list reveals how much Mayweather, Ronaldo and Messi earned this decade ADVICE REVEALED Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade BEST OF center_img Van Dijk was forced off during last month’s victory over Southampton and Reds boss Jurgen Klopp has since claimed he is struggling with a ‘bruised rib’ suffered before the Champions League clash with Paris Saint-Germain.But, according to Koeman, the injury is more serious than Klopp is letting on.“Virgil has played with two broken ribs in the last weeks,” the Holland boss was quoted as saying by Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf. “He wanted to play against Germany and you have to give that club something back now.”Van Dijk, the world’s most expensive defender, has played the full 90 minutes four times since coming off against the Saints – against Chelsea, Napoli and Manchester City for the Reds and in Saturday’s Nations League victory over Germany for Holland.“He’s back in Liverpool but he is ready to play for next week,” Koeman added. Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? Van Dijk played 90 minutes for Holland against Germany Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury Virgil van Dijk has been playing with two broken ribs for the past few weeks, according to Netherlands manager Ronald Koeman.The Liverpool centre-back will not feature in his country’s friendly with Belgium tonight after being released back to his club, however Koeman still expects van Dijk to start the Premier League fixture against Huddersfield on Saturday. LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS 2 MONEY Van Dijk came off holding his ribs against Saints “He’s taken a rest. He spoke to the manager.“The medical staff of the Dutch national team spoke to the medical staff of Liverpool and made the decision that he was playing only the Germany game and then after back to Liverpool.“He is ready to play next weekend.”last_img read more

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe top 10 theme park moments of 2019 The alleged masterminds of the Bali attacks were believed to be Azahari bin Husin and Noordin Mohamed Top, both Malaysians who fled to Indonesia after a crackdown on militants following the Sept. 11 attacks, officials said. The masterminds were not among the suspected bombers, whose remains were found at the scenes, officials said. All three bombers were believed to be wearing belts of explosives, police said. Mbai said at least three other people were believed to be involved in the operation, and suspected they were still on Bali. He did not say whether they included the two Malaysian fugitives. Mbai also said police believe the bombs were detonated by mobile phone. Authorities have enlisted the help Nasir Abbas, a former Jemaah Islamiyah operative working as an informant, to help in the investigation. Abbas arrived on Bali two hours after the blasts, but it was unclear whether he had concluded a deal with police. BALI, Indonesia – Police raised the alert level for Indonesia’s capital and the president warned of more attacks Sunday as a chilling video shot the day before showed a suspected bomber clutching a backpack and strolling past diners moments before one of three suicide bombings killed 26 people on Bali. The near-simultaneous bombings on the resort island also injured 101 people, including six Americans. The attacks apparently were planned by Southeast Asia’s two most-wanted men, who are believed to be connected to the al-Qaida-linked Jemaah Islamiyah, said Maj. Gen. Ansyaad Mbai, a top Indonesian anti-terror official. Fear of more attacks on tourists prompted Israel to warn its citizens Sunday not to travel to Egypt’s Sinai desert during the upcoming month of Jewish holidays, saying it has information that Arab militants planning strikes against Israelis already are located in the resort area. “Police are using him to help find which group is behind this operation, former terrorists can help give details,” Mbai told The Associated Press. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more