first_imgVETERAN outstanding Jamaican female athletes Veronica Campbell-Brown and Kerron Stewart are among 14 athletes named to the 2017 Southeastern Conference (SEC) Women’s Legends Class. This announcement was made recently by the conference office. The SEC Women’s Legends class highlights accomplished former student athletes, coaches and administrators from the 14 members institutions. Campbell-Brown, formerly of Vere Technical, attended the University of Arkansas, while Stewart, formerly of St Jago, attended the University of Auburn. Campbell-Brown, who attended Arkansas in 2004 after transferring from Barton County Community Junior College, has had a distinguished career for the Razorbacks. During her first season there, she received three first team All-America honours at the indoor national meet. She is a two-time individual Olympic gold medallist for Jamaica and also won two individual World Championships gold medals. At last year’s Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, she captured her eighth Olympic medal as a member of Jamaica’s silver-winning 4×100 metres relay team. Stewart, a two-time Olympic individual medallist with silver in the 100 metres and bronze in the 200 metres at Beijing 2008 also won silver in the 100 metres in Berlin at the 2009 World Championships to go along with excellent results for the Auburn Tigers. She was named 2007 SEC Runner of the Year and USTFCCA National Runner of the Year after capturing the SEC and NCAA Championships in the 60 metres and the 200 metres. She was named All-American seven times and is one of the best athletes in the school’s history. They were both recognised along with several other athletes at the SEC basketball tournament held between March 1-5, 2016 in Greenville, South Carolina. Each legend will be honoured during half-time of their team’s first home game of the tournament.last_img read more

first_imgThe MB Sandaka has commenced operations between Guyana and Suriname on Thursday according to Public Infrastructure Minister David Patterson.The MB SandakaThe Minister told Guyana Times that the first sail has commenced and will last for a period of 123 days.“We will access the response of the travelling public to find out if the one sailing per day is okay and if we need to make adjustments, so it came as a result of a one-day intense discussion with my Surinamese counterpart”.Patterson added that during the discussion with his Surinamese counterpart, it was revealed that both sides were facing similar issues and therefore, systems will be put in place for the continuation of the ferry service.The MV Canawaima will be back in service from October 16, 2019, so therefore, the MB Sandaka will be operating on Guyana’s expense. “I have an agreement with my Surinamese counterpart that if the MV Canawaima is not in full operation on the date set, then the expense will be shared equally for the operation of the MB Sandaka,” according to Minster Patterson.The ferry, which will be working on a rotational basis between Guyana and Suriname, will be inspected by a joint team of engineers, who will be carrying out a full inspection on October 2, 2019. The two countries have also agreed to address all issues facing the ferry service, not only mechanical but also hospitality.On May 27, the Management of the Guyana-Suriname Ferry Service, through the Department of Public Information (DPI), had announced the suspension of operations from that day until further notice. Terminal Manager Gale Culley-Greene had told DPI that the Canawaima Ferry had been experiencing mechanical difficulties for some time and a decision was taken to have the vessel assessed and repaired.Government had expressed concern at the inconvenience to travellers while saying that this country had been funding most of the maintenance over the years. It had also noted that the vessel’s engine “had been limping for some time and [the ferry] was being towed by a tug” during its trips between the two countries.The suspension of the ferry service caused soaring traffic across the “backtrack” route on the Corentyne River border utilising speedboats.last_img read more

first_img Serbia fans 1 Serbia have been awarded a 3-0 victory over Albania following their postponed Euro 2016 qualifier but they have also been deducted three points and ordered to play their next two games behind closed doors for their part in the furore.The Group I clash between the two eastern European nations ended in bizarre circumstances when an unmanned drone trailing a pro-Albania flag over the Partizan Stadium resulted in a melee between the two sets of players as well as some Serbian fans.The sport’s European governing body UEFA has taken a dim view of the incident and while Serbia have been awarded the win, its football association has announced it will not get the benefit of the three points and must play its home matches against Denmark and Armenia in an empty stadium.last_img