first_imgBARCELONA, Spain (AP) – Real Madrid head to Manchester City for tomorrow’s first leg of their Champions League semi-final with dark clouds over Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema. Both star strikers, who have scored 74 goals between them this season, are nursing right-leg injuries. Ronaldo strained a muscle in a win over Villarreal on Wednesday, ruling him out of Saturday’s match at Rayo Vallecano — that Benzema exited before halftime with a leg injury of his own. Coach Zinedine Zidane said that Ronaldo, who trained on Sunday, will travel with the squad to England. Benzema is a bigger worry for the former France great. “We’re going to assess Benzema,” Zidane said after Saturday’s match. “All I can say is that it’s not a knock. I hope that it’s nothing serious and that he’ll be available for Tuesday.” The 10-time champions have already found their saviour in case Ronaldo and Benzema have not fully recovered to face City. Gareth Bale rose to the occasion when both his strike partners were out on Saturday, scoring two goals to lead a 3-2 comeback victory at Rayo that kept Madrid in the fight for the Spanish league title. For Bale, Madrid have the “psychological” advantage of playing the second leg back in Spain. “If we get a good result in the Etihad Stadium, back at the Bernabeu our fans are always going to help us,” Bale said. “As long as we don’t lose there, we’ll be very confident at the Bernabeu.” Under former Madrid manager Manuel Pellegrini, City are in fine form domestically in April. Besides a draw against lowly Newcastle, high-scoring wins — 3-0 over Chelsea and a 4-0 rout of Stoke on Saturday — are a reminder of City at their best. Kevin de Bruyne has been the inspiration behind the revival, as a dynamo in midfielder since returning after two months out. The Belgian was rested against Stoke in preparation for Madrid. “Now almost everybody is back and it gives us a different feeling,” De Bruyne said.last_img read more

first_imgIowa is experiencing its worst West Nile virus outbreak in 15 years, and cases in Nebraska are also on the rise.Iowa Deputy Epidemiologist Ann Garvey says 73 cases of the mosquito-borne virus have either been confirmed or are under investigation.West Nile activity in Iowa peaked in 2003, when six people died and nearly 150 were sickened.Audio Playerhttp://kscj.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/WN.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.OC…..central Iowa. :12The three deaths in Iowa this year are the most from West Nile since 2003 and Garvey is calling on Iowans not to let their guard down.Audio Playerhttp://kscj.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/WN2.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.OC……..using that mosquito repellent :14The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services says 79 West Nile cases have been reported in the state and 42 of those were the more serious version of the virus.Last year, there were 68 cases of West Nile in the Cornhusker state.Garvey says confirmed cases of West Nile are likely to increase in the coming weeks and the pests won’t stop biting until the first hard frost.Audio Playerhttp://kscj.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/WN3.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.OC……..cool temperatures. :13Most people who test positive will either have no symptoms but some cases can be severe.Radio Iowa contributed to this storylast_img read more