by The Associated Press Posted Mar 20, 2018 10:13 am PDT Last Updated Mar 20, 2018 at 12:00 pm PDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email ‘The Crown’ producers say sorry to stars after pay dispute FILE – In this Tuesday, Nov. 21, 2017 file photo, actors Claire Foy, left, and Matt Smith pose for photographers on arrival at the premiere of the series ‘The Crown, Season 2’ in central London. Producers of the Netflix drama “The Crown” apologized Tuesday to actors Claire Foy and Matt Smith over the revelation that Foy was paid less than her male co-star. (Photo by Grant Pollard/Invision/AP, File) LONDON – Producers of the Netflix drama “The Crown” apologized Tuesday to actors Claire Foy and Matt Smith over the revelation that Foy was paid less than her male co-star.A producer disclosed last week that Foy, who starred as Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II, was paid less than Smith, who played Prince Philip, because Smith was better known.The gender pay gap has become a big issue in Hollywood after revelations that many female stars were paid less than their male counterparts.Since news of “The Crown” pay gap broke, a petition has urged Smith to donate part of his salary to the Time’s Up campaign, which is campaigning against sexism and sexual misconduct in the entertainment industry.Production company Left Bank Pictures said the actors “are not aware of who gets what and cannot be held personally responsible for the pay of their colleagues.”The production company apologized that Foy and Smith “have found themselves at the centre of a media storm this week through no fault of their own.”The company said it was “absolutely united with the fight for fair pay, free of gender bias” and was keen to speak to Time’s Up.“The Crown” traces Elizabeth’s journey from princess to queen, beginning in the 1950s. Foy and Smith are being replaced by older performers in the next season.
Police awarded 55 members of the public on Wednesday for their contribution in helping the force carry out its work.During a ceremony at the Journalists’ House in Nicosia, citizens were awarded for helping society through providing information which was crucial in leading to arrests, offering humanitarian aid, helping extinguish fires, resolving serious crimes and rescuing people. Organisations which contributed with their help were also awarded.“You deserve many congratulations for handing in lost property, offering information which was vital for public safety, for offering up information without seeking anything in return,” as well as those who have endangered their lives chief of police Kypros Michaelides told attendees at the ceremony.He added the force was investing in a modern model of policing of which a central ingredient is the close relationship with the public so as to further strengthen public safety and security.Justice Minister George Savvides said the fact that more and more citizens are being awarded each year is proof that cooperation between police and the public is well established.“Such acts of great bravery and ethos greatly contribute to effectively prevent and combat crime and ensure the protection of citizens.”People like those awarded were examples to follow, Savvides said. You May LikeCalifornia Earthquake AuthorityMake earthquake insurance a family priorityCalifornia Earthquake AuthorityUndoLivestlyChip And Joanna’s $18M Mansion Is Perfect, But It’s The Backyard Everyone Is Talking AboutLivestlyUndoPopularEverythingColorado Mom Adopted Two Children, Months Later She Learned Who They Really ArePopularEverythingUndo Argaka mukhtar stops conservationists againUndoConcern over falling tourism numbersUndoPensioner dies after crash on Paphos-Polis roadUndoby Taboolaby Taboola