Fulham are reported to have agreed a fee with Aston Villa for Clint Dempsey.The American is keen to move to Liverpool but the Anfield club are yet to table a bid for him.It has been widely suggested that the possible sale of Reds midfielder Charlie Adam to Stoke could lead to Liverpool finally making an offer for Dempsey.Sunderland have also expressed an interest in the 29-year-old forward, who has made it clear he wants to leave Craven Cottage.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Some of Canada’s biggest names were at NBA Finals Game 5. The country was on the verge of getting its first NBA championship.It all starts with Drake, who wore a more subdued and less trollish outfit. Hockey legend Wayne Gretzky was also on hand. Two female sports stars golfer Michelle Wie and tennis player Eugenie Bouchard sat courtside. One of the most famous Raptors players Vince Carter represented his old team.During the breaks in the contest, Torey Lanez and Baka Not Nice performed for …
The public transport system in Haryana returned to normal on Saturday as the protesting Roadways employees called off their 17-day strike and buses started plying across the state from 10 a.m. “We have started running the Haryana roadways buses across the state from 10 a.m.,” Haryana Roadways employees’ coordination committee member Balwan Singh said. Despite the Essential Services Maintenance Act being in force, the Roadways employees had been on strike since October 16 against the government’s move to induct 700 private buses, which they alleged was a move towards privatisation of the department to benefit a few chosen ones. Even as the government held unsuccessful parleys with the striking employees twice, they have been invited for a fresh round of talks on November 12, Mr. Singh said. The strike cost the State a loss of about ₹40 crore, officials said. Meanwhile, the State government has revoked the suspension and termination of around 300 employees of the department, they said. However, those employed by the State government through it’s policy of outsourcing have been shown the door, they added.
The Argentine wizard Lionel Messi arrived in football-crazy Kolkata early Wednesday morning but hundreds of his frenzied fans were left disappointed.Hordes of supporters and mediapersons stayed awake throughout the night and waited outside the airport to catch a glimpse of the best player on the planet.But the 24-year old Barcelona superstar made a quiet exit through the VIP gate amidst high security, escaping the hysterical crowd. Messi and Javier Mascherano were held back for their La Liga match against Villarreal on Monday and landed in the city at 3.20 am on Wednesday.They got out of the airport at 3.55 a. m. and headed for the team hotel. More than 30 members of the Argentine delegation, including coach Alejandro Sabella, had already checked in. The Venezuelan team had landed on Tuesday morning itself.The friendly between the South American rivals, in the run-up to World Cup 2014 qualifiers, will be the biggest ever football event in the country.The Mecca of Indian football is gripped by Messi fever as youngsters donned Argentina jerseys and thronged outside the hotel and the stadium premises chanting Messi’s name.Tickets priced at Rs. 700, Rs. 1,000, Rs. 2,570 and Rs. 3,590 are all sold out and so are the 16 luxury boxes priced at Rs. 7.5 lakh each which can accommodate 15 people each. The remaining tickets, which are priced from Rs. 1,550 to Rs. 5,120 are fast moving off the counters.Messi and his teammates’ menuBeef, chicken, potato, cereals, cheese, cold meat, breads, pasta, grilled meat salads and other vegetables served on the platter.advertisementSpaghetti and fruit juice in breakfast Beef Spaghetti, non-vegetable items and dessert in lunch Most of the ingredients procured from the local market with a select few imported.
Argentina’s loss to Germany in the FIFA World Cup final on Monday had its effect on social media as well.While overwhelmed Germany supporters celebrated their team’s win, disappointed Argentine fans found solace in the fact that it was able to make it to the finals.Argentina isn’t rioting; cars there are pretending to be tipped over to draw a foul.; Erin Gloria Ryan (@morninggloria) July 14, 2014Argentina lost but we still partying. https://t.co/TbX2TI227v; pizza goddess (@rowseeyo) July 14, 2014Cutting these onions and crying like a 13 year old Argentinian boy at the World Cup. Peter Gilroy (@petergilroy) July 14, 2014Marking Argentina’s heartbreaking loss by watching equally grim TV shows.; Edmond Ortiz (@satscribe) July 14, 2014as consolation for their loss, argentina can have an extra hour in the ball pit aneesha (@ane3sha) July 13, 2014The best extra weight we’ve ever carried! pic.twitter.com/qaknvITdGyLufthansa (@lufthansa) July 13, 2014During the final World Cup match, more than 32.1 million tweets were sent out about the game between Germany and Argentina. Nearly 5.6 lakh tweets were sent out per minute as Germany’s Mario Gotze scored the winning goal.Lionel Messi had his own followers tweeting up a storm with nearly 4 lakh tweets when he was awarded the Golden Ball and declared Best player of the tournament.Here is a heat map of how fans reacted on twitter through the match:Mario Goetze scored the winning goal in extra time to give Germany a 1-0 victory over Argentina on Sunday in a tight and tense World Cup final that came down to a few moments of individual skill.It was a goal that gave Germany its fourth World Cup title in its eighth final, and left Argentina star Lionel Messi still walking in the shadow of his compatriot Diego Maradona, who led his country to the 1986 title.advertisement
Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Dasmariñas’ plan was to hit then keep his distance from Demecillo. He slowed down in the later rounds, but somehow mustered enough strength in the last two rounds to keep Demecillo at bay.Demecillo had his moments but Dasmariñas more often that not, got the better of their exchanges.The IBF world title is currently held by undefeated Emmanuel Rodriguez of Puerto Rico.Rodriguez (19-0, 12 KOs) is slated for a title defense against Japanese superstar Naoya Inoue, who is also yet to be beaten with 15 of his 17 wins by knockout, on May 18 in the semifinals of the World Boxing Super Series.ADVERTISEMENT “I really gave my best in this fight. All my hard work paid off with this win,” said Dasmariñas (29-2-1, 19 KOs) in Filipino after his unanimous decision victory. The judges had scored the bout, 116-112, 115-113, 117-111.The 26-year-old Dasmariñas endured a cut above his right eye midway through the ninth round due to accidental clash of heads and hurdled a game and gritty opponent in Demecillo (14-5-2, 8 KOs).FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsDasmariñas, the International Boxing Organization champion, used the ring to his advantage and went to work in the early rounds to set the tone.But Demecillo, who was an easy target for Dasmariñas in the first three rounds, kept coming forward. Crunchman Alex Cabagnot left in awe of Mark Nonoy’s clutch heroics Colombia protesters vow new strike after talks hit snag Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles01:26Lawmakers hail fighting Senator Pacquiao’s victory over Thurman01:26Lawmakers hail fighting Senator Pacquiao’s victory over Thurman02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Wintry storm delivers US travel woes before Thanksgiving Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles Bloomberg: US would benefit from more, not fewer, immigrants View comments Trump tells impeachment jokes at annual turkey pardon event Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMANILA, Philippines—Up-and-coming Filipino boxer Michael Dasmariñas moved a step closer in his bid to become a major boxing world champion Saturday night.Dasmariñas topped compatriot Kenny Demecillo on points in a slugfest to become the mandatory challenger for the IBF bantamweight title in the main event of Rising Stars at Resorts World Manila.ADVERTISEMENT Google Philippines names new country director MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES
Arsenal boss Emery explains substituting Dani Ceballosby Ansser Sadiqa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal manager Unai Emery has explained his decision to substitute midfielder Dani Ceballos.The Spanish loanee was taken off during the second half, when the Gunners were struggling to retain control over the game.Some fans criticised the decision, believing the sub only made the team worse.But Emery defended his choices, saying to the club’s official website: “But today it was very, very hot. We needed in the second half, some fresh players. “We were struggling second half and I was thinking how we can improve with three players, fresh players, for give us more energy and give us also more capacity to be strong physically and tactically and also technically.” About the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say
TORONTO – Toronto’s main stock index continued to push higher Thursday as Wall Street veered lower on heightened interest rate expectations from the U.S. Federal Reserve.The S&P/TSX composite index climbed 65.32 points to 15,454.92, with rising energy and financials shares among the key gainers.Following Wednesday’s announcement that the Fed remains on course to raise rates one more time this year and three times in 2018, interest-sensitive names on the TSX have benefited, said portfolio manager Kash Pashootan.“Banks stocks are having a good couple of days here given that higher interest rates help their net interest margins,” said Pashootan, who works at First Avenue Advisory, a Raymond James company.“So although the announcement came from the U.S. it had a spillover effect in Canada.”South of the border, banks and industrials were among the few bright spots on U.S. stock indexes as modest gains from a day earlier were wiped out.The Dow Jones industrial average was down 53.36 points to 22,359.23. The S&P 500 index lost 7.64 points to 2,500.60 and the Nasdaq composite index gave back 33.35 points to 6,422.69.“You’re seeing a hangover effect from yesterday’s Federal Reserve meeting and comments,” said Pashootan. “Really, the take away of course is that if there were any doubts that rates were going to continue to rise, that’s been removed off the table.”As a result, he said, that’s having a bullish effect on the U.S. dollar and putting downward pressure on the loonie.The Canadian dollar was trading at an average price of 81.04 cents US, down 0.44 of a cent.Pashootan said the fact that the market has been fairly boring and inactive in the United States “is a good thing because it’s taking the time needed to digest the news.”“If you think about monetary policy in Canada compared to the U.S., it’s been quite different in the sense that the U.S. has done a better job at speaking ahead and preparing the markets for higher rates,” he said.“The Bank of Canada didn’t prepare the markets as well in advance and you’ve seen the result of that in the Canadian dollar being up double digits in the last six months.”In commodities news, the November crude contract shed 14 cents to US$50.55 per barrel and the October natural gas contract was down 15 cents to US$2.95 per mmBTU.The December gold contract dropped $21.60 to US$1,294.80 an ounce and the December copper contract declined three cents to US$2.93 a pound.Follow @DaveHTO on Twitter
TORONTO – Second Cup wants to serve up a different kind of buzz by converting some of its coffee shops into cannabis dispensaries and, when legal, pot lounges.Shares in the Canadian restaurant operator rose as much as 31 per cent before closing up 28.73 per cent at $3.54 on Thursday after it announced that it has signed an agreement with marijuana clinic operator National Access Cannabis to develop and operate a network of recreational pot stores.However, neither currently has a licence to sell marijuana, so the deal is contingent on approval from the government, as well as from franchisees and landlords.If and when regulations allow, the two companies also want to open coffee shops for cannabis consumption, said Second Cup’s board chairman Michael Bregman.“(Cannabis) is going to be an awfully big business in Canada, and we have some amazing locations,” he said in an interview Thursday. “I wish I knew now in what form we would be pursuing and participating. We’re just trying to position ourselves so we can participate as the opportunities arise and the legislation is formed.”Second Cup, once a pioneer in the world of upscale coffee, has been struggling to find its place in an increasingly competitive cafe market and has been losing market share to more dominant players, including Starbucks and Tim Hortons, as well as to increasingly popular independent craft purveyors of java. Canada’s second-largest specialty coffee retailer reported adjusted net income of just $110,000 for fiscal 2017.And so, the coffee chain, like many other Canadian companies, is jumping in to grab a piece of the lucrative marijuana market.The companies said in a joint release Thursday that the NAC-branded stores would initially be located across Western Canada, with plans to expand to additional provinces where legally permissible. NAC, which operates a network of marijuana patient advisory clinics, will apply for licenses to dispense cannabis products and work with Second Cup and applicable franchisees to construct stores. NAC has signed marijuana supply agreements with CannaRoyalty Corp. and others.Canada is preparing for the legalization of recreational marijuana later this year, but the distribution model for pot differs widely between provinces.Private operators will be able to sell marijuana, after obtaining the appropriate licenses, in provinces including British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. NAC is already among the organizations selected by Manitoba’s government to handle retail sales of recreational pot once legal.Provinces such as Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island, however, will sell marijuana in outlets run by the provincial liquor commissions.Retailers, pharmacies and licensed cannabis producers are already positioning themselves for the green rush.Shoppers Drug Mart’s parent company, Loblaw Companies Ltd., has applied for a license to dispense medical marijuana, and has signed supply agreements with pot producers.And in February, licensed producer Aurora Cannabis Inc. signed a $103.5-million deal to buy a minority stake in Liquor Stores N.A. Ltd, which plans to launch a brand of cannabis stores.Meanwhile, many provinces and territories have said they are restricting the consumption of cannabis to privately owned residences but some jurisdictions such as Ontario are soliciting feedback on whether to allow for licensed cannabis consumption lounges.NAC chief executive Mark Goliger said in an interview Thursday that “the minute that that becomes a legal option, we will be first in line.”While the details of those consumption lounges would depend largely on regulations, he described them as “Amsterdam, with Canadian conservativeness attached to it.”“We do feel that cannabis lounges are a logical next step … As most provinces are making it very restrictive as to where people can actually consume in public,” Goliger said.Shares of NAC on the TSX Venture Exchange were up as much as 14 per cent to $1.04 on Thursday after the announcement.Bregman said Second Cup got the idea to branch out into pot after being approached by several cannabis producers. The coffee chain “felt comfortable” with NAC as a partner, and signed a deal on Wednesday night, he added.As well, NAC has issued to Second Cup warrants to purchase 5,000,000 common shares of the company, at an exercise price of 91 cents per share. The warrants expire in April 2023.It’s unclear how many stores — which will be under a new brand developed by NAC, according to Goliger — will be ready by legalization, expected later this year. The companies plan to submit as many as 20 applications for licenses to the Alberta government, and see how many get approved, said Bregman.Conversion of any Second Cup cafes to dispensaries will be conditional on obtaining a license from provincial regulators as well as the approval of the applicable franchisee and landlord. Store ownership will be split 50/50 between the two companies, or the two parties would split the balance if a franchisee is included, he added.Second Cup’s Bregman said the coffee chain’s efforts to revamp are paying off, but it has a long way to go. Second Cup plans to continue expanding its network of coffee shops across Canada as it develops a network of cannabis dispensaries with “compelling” economics, he added.“This is an opportunity where there is plenty of potential upside and no real downside,” said Bregman. “This can’t hurt the company, can’t hurt the franchisees. But can help a lot if things go well.”Companies in this story: (TSX:SCU, TSXV:NAC)Note to readers: This is a corrected story. An earlier version erroneously referred to NAC as a private firm.
LONDON — Britain’s Office of National Statistics says it is changing the way it accounts for student loans in a decision that will add 12 billion pounds ($15 billion) to the country’s budget deficit.The statistics agency said in a statement Monday that the design of the system means much of the loan book is never repaid.The agency’s David Bailey says the decision “properly reflects the true picture of government spending” because future write-offs will be reflected as government spending now.Treasury officials stressed the accounting decision won’t affect students, who can still get loans.But Matt Whittaker of the Resolution Foundation says it will inevitably affect the government’s approach to education financing “by making more explicit where the costs of the system lie.”The Associated Press